Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used Royal Purple in their PSD? If so is it better than Rotella-T and how so?

·
Desert Shield/Storm Vet
9,092 Posts
I have heard people on here say not to use Royal purple in the engine because of the high pressure oil system and the additives in Royal purple. Can't tell you if its true just what I read. I have read also that people have had good luck using their gear oils and Royal purple has the right amount of additives for the limited slip so there is no chattering in the rear end. Some gear oils you have to add the additve seperate.

·
Desert Storm Vet
638 Posts
I have used Royal purple, but not in my PSD, I used it in my Jaguar with good results. I currently use Amsoil, and also sell it. I have found it works great Improved fuel economy (small but a gain nonetheless)

·
Banned
1,684 Posts
PLEASE DONT DO IT TO YOUR TRUCK! RP really messed up my injectors! Stick with the tried and true Rotella.

·
Registered
601 Posts
now im scared....just put RP in the beast today. can somebody please tell me what it does to the injectors?? are you 100%%% sure it was the oil that killed the injectors???

·
Banned
1,684 Posts
now im scared....just put RP in the beast today. can somebody please tell me what it does to the injectors?? are you 100%%% sure it was the oil that killed the injectors???

100% sure it was the RP. The truck started making some horrible knocking sounds that would come and go, sometims loud, sometimes you could barley here it. All of the noises stoped when I changed the RP at 1300 miles and NEVER came back. I will find out what it did to them soon, My injectors are being rebuild right now......

·
Registered
601 Posts
for the last 4,000miles it had amsoil but today we changes it to RP and it sounds quieter and smoother then it did with the amsoil....drove around down for about 20miles and it seems fine:dunno::crazy:

·
Premium Member
20,358 Posts

·
Banned
1,684 Posts
Mine seemed fine for the first 400 miles or so, then I lost some power and it started making all of the noises. The truck never made any noise untill I put the RP in there, the ones that it did make went away when I took the RP out and went back to Rotella. The biggest $140 mistake I have made!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I work at a oil change place here in TX, we have people non stop putting RP in their PSD and have never heard anything bad.... Some i have known for about a year and a half and they dont complain about it... If i had the choice i would still stick with rotella and the rotella synthetic.. i have RP in my 97 Nissan 240sx drift car and i love it to death except in the tranny it made my 1-3rd tranny synchros go out... :( Just stick with the Rotella fella's

·
Registered
601 Posts
changed the amsoil because it had been 6months and alot of the miles are around town. it was looking dirty too.

·
Banned
1,684 Posts
Rotella my friend, Its the only way to go IMHO.

·
Registered
31 Posts
okay, im a little scared now because as of tuesday my 02 psd has 15w40 royal purple running as her blood. so far the cold starts have been much easier on the engine. on rotella it blows white smoke for 10 minutes, on the royal purple it does not smoke at all and when it starts, it acts like it has been idling away for several minutes. i was not impressed with rotella t. after a legthy search on the internet, i can't find anything indicating that royal purple is problematic with fords using heui injectors. i would think if it is a huge problem it would be a little bit more publicized considering the truck has been around for almost 10 years now. anybody have any hard evidence that the moly will come out of suspension and mess with the injectors ?

·
Registered
601 Posts
okay, im a little scared now because as of tuesday my 02 psd has 15w40 royal purple running as her blood. so far the cold starts have been much easier on the engine. on rotella it blows white smoke for 10 minutes, on the royal purple it does not smoke at all and when it starts, it acts like it has been idling away for several minutes. i was not impressed with rotella t. after a legthy search on the internet, i can't find anything indicating that royal purple is problematic with fords using heui injectors. i would think if it is a huge problem it would be a little bit more publicized considering the truck has been around for almost 10 years now. anybody have any hard evidence that the moly will come out of suspension and mess with the injectors ?
i think me and you better be hoping this is good stuff:crazy:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My girlfriend is a lube-tech (yeah, I know, how cool is that) and she told me that a lot of her customers use the RP in their 6.0 PSD. She claims that there have been no problems reported, but there have been no customers claim that they found any improvement either. I'm just trying to find out if the RP is good enough to switch from the tried-and-true Rotella or worth the extra cost.

·
Registered
601 Posts
so far it seems perfect but it hasnt been on the freeway or gone more then 20miles. i did some reading online and alot of 6.0 guys use it and say it makes them idle smoother and smoke less. dont the 6.0s use the same heui as the 7.3s?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
so far it seems perfect but it hasnt been on the freeway or gone more then 20miles. i did some reading online and alot of 6.0 guys use it and say it makes them idle smoother and smoke less. dont the 6.0s use the same heui as the 7.3s?
I'm fairly certain they do.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I will stick 2 my amsoil since i get it at dealer cost since my friend is a dealer. Been running amsoil since i bought the truck and well not use anything bout ams. I stay stick with ams i don't know what u pay for a gallon of rp but i get my ams for 20 dollars a gallon.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have been using rp for the last 100k. I have been having injector problems off and on for the last 50k. I have spent $1,700 in the last 6 weeks trying to get the problem corrected at ford dealers in both Memphis and Dallas. Today a ford diesel mechanic in Austin told me he had only seen the problem I am having one other time and that truck was using rp. I will be changing oil tomorrow. The problem is at highway speed going up slight hills. It feels like I am in the wrong gear. Missing and chugging.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts