Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 5 speed manual transmission. I just bought Royal Purple transmission fluid. Is this the best fluid to use or is there something better? Just wanted to make sure before I put it in. Also would it be a good idea to run Royal Purple motor oil or stick with Rotella or Rotella synthetic. Also is the drain plug on the bottom on the tranny the only place I need to drain fluid from? Does the manual trans have a inline filter like the auto trans has? Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I cant answer some of these. I can say I had a 98 Ranger that was manual, and that didn't have a filter. So My guess would be, no manuals dont have them. But dont quote me on that. Also, if you're trying to do a complete fluid change, you need to drain the TC. As far as running the fluid. It being the "best" is completely opinion based. Royal Purple is good, its just expensive so most people stay away from it. As far as running both the same oil and ATF is a personal choice. I run Wolfs Head synthetic oil and ATF but I doubt many people run the same. Its really what youre happy with honestly.

·
Electrical Ogre
12,276 Posts
I cant answer some of these. I can say I had a 98 Ranger that was manual, and that didn't have a filter. So My guess would be, no manuals dont have them. But dont quote me on that. Also, if you're trying to do a complete fluid change, you need to drain the TC. As far as running the fluid. It being the "best" is completely opinion based. Royal Purple is good, its just expensive so most people stay away from it. As far as running both the same oil and ATF is a personal choice. I run Wolfs Head synthetic oil and ATF but I doubt many people run the same. Its really what youre happy with honestly.
[scratching head] TC on a 5 speed? :confused:

Talk to somebody at Royal Purple tech support, not a speed shop or parts store salesman. You need to find out if it will work with the trans. Some lubes have friction properties that are too low, and will prevent the "friction cone" syncros from grabbing correctly, leading to a lot of grinding.

·
Registered
368 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,192 Posts
[scratching head] TC on a 5 speed? :confused:

Haha, nope you are right. Its been a really long day. I feel like an idiot now haha :doh:
Heroes live forever, fails never die

Good work tho.

I'd like to know which oil and atf to run, I prefer synthetic kause of the breakdown cycle compared to conventional oil

·
Electrical Ogre
12,276 Posts
Ford calls for synthetic mercon. The crap you get at a parts store is usually mercon v pawned off as synthetic. I've heard of good results with red line synthetics. Right now my parts store ATF is making my syncros grind if I shift too fast. Hopefully I haven't thrashed anything too much. They shifted fine until the old lube was displaced (old syncros pulled from another good trans but 2WD.)

·
Registered
368 Posts
Well I was running Rotella for a while. Rotella and Mercon for atf. I switched to Wolfs Head synthetic oil and atf and love it. Just my .02

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did enough research to find out that ford calls for 6.1 quarts of Mercron. I knew I wanted to go with a synthetic, and the back of the Royal Purple bottle had a list of vehicles it was compatible with, and ford mercron and mercron v were both compatible. I'll call Royal Purple in the A.M. and see what they say. Thanks for all the input!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bought Royal Purple MAX ATF. Called Royal Purple this morning and they said that is a good replacement for the Mercron, but they recommended there Synchromax for a manual transmission just FYI if anyone else is interested in trying it out.

Going to put it in now, hopefully it will work well!

·
Electrical Ogre
12,276 Posts
Thanks for the update. I'll have to see if I can get the Syncromax locally and try it.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I haven't driven it much, just a quick trip down the highway to see how things were working. It seems to shift smoother, not sure if that's just do to new fluid or the fact that its royal purple. I got the synchromax from NAPA $16.99 a quart!!!!! :doh: Specs call for 3.5 in the trans, and 2 in the transfer case so you will need for sure 6 quarts, but I think im going to have to add a little to the transfer case, I would buy 7 and return one if you dont need it.

However it seems like my shift from first to second is still slow, almost like I have to wait a sec for the RPM's to match. Is this typical of the 5-speed trans, in the truck or is there possibly a problem with the trans? Should I be double clutching? :dunno:

·
Registered
840 Posts
god i wish i could afford a tranny fluid change right now..... especially royal purple.... god being 16 sucks lol :doh:

·
Premium Member
23,192 Posts
Hell I had mine flushed and re filled at the dealer ship rite before I went to Ga and back, wish I would have used royal purple or another great fluid when I did

·
Registered
368 Posts
Is there really a benefit from having them "flush" the tranny? Ive always been under the impression just changing it on schedule is good enough to get most of the gunk out?

·
Premium Member
23,192 Posts
I did it as a prevention, my truck had been setting 2 years plus before I bought it and driven maybe 5 miles from the previous owners to his sons house, who sold it to me when his father passed.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts