Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

I have a new to me truck with the ZF6. Although in general the tranny has been fine, the actual throws from 1st to 2nd and back again aren’t very smooth. It takes some extra force to shove the stick and it doesn’t always feel like it’s moving all the way forward. This causes me to shift slower, which makes it harder to rev match. Additionally, the self centering seems kind of slow and sticky. I’ve seen videos of other ZF6s and it seems much more bouncy and quick. Could it be the shift fork? I also haven’t changed the tranny fluid yet (no idea if it has ever been changed before, although the truck has very low miles).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2000 7.3L F350 DRW
3 Posts
Mine feels great but I seem to have the same issue. I don't tend to down shift while driving a whole lot just because of how the roads here are set up but some times when I'm sitting still it feels like it doesn't go into first. I think it's still in but just to be safe I always pull it out and put it back until it goes all the way forward. Sometimes it takes a lot of tries but it usually only takes a couple. Fifth also does it while I'm driving but even if it doesn't go all the way forward it still works which is why I think first and second are still going in even if it doesn't feel like it. Could be something about the linkage in the transmission maybe. I'm no expert and my 7.3 is the first diesel I've ever owned so I can't say anything for sure. Maybe the fork moves all the way but slop in the linkage inside makes it feel like it isn't in? I don't even know what the internals of the ZF6 look like so I'm really shooting in the dark.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. The 7.3 is also my first diesel, and my first manual. I might take it to an honest mechanic I know and have him drive it and tell me if it feels normal.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I haven’t. I am planning to change the trans fluid in the next week or two.

I guess I could bleed it but I don’t think the problem is with the clutch. I think the problem is with the shifter.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts