Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

2005 F250 SD 6.0L

Fairly new to diesels. Bought this truck about 6 months ago. Changed oil, new fuel filters and flushed cooling system. It has been running fine until a couple days ago. On the highway noticed I was losing power and running rough. Got home and had codes P1000, P0266, P0278. I cleared the codes and almost immediately the P0266 and P1000 came back. Cleared codes again and seems to drive ok, but got the P0266 and P1000 again. Now as soon as I clear codes I get P0266 and P1000 back almost immediately.

This leads me to believe I should replace #2 injector.

I figured I would throw this out thee for comments. I hate to throw parts at problems. Is there any other way to determine if the injector is bad? Should I replace that whole side (2,4,6,8) of injectors?

Any suggestions appreciated....

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I am not sure if this is typical but figured I would share it. For some background. I live in the northeast (Albany, NY) where temps lately have been in 20-30 range. I had to go out of town for a few days so truck has been in my garage since last Wednesday.

I went ahead and replaced #2 fuel injector yesterday. I did not have block heater connected. Truck would not start. I hooked up block heater charged batteries and still crank no start. Let it sit overnight, charging and block heater on. Still crank no start this morning. I watched DieselTechRon's Crank No Start Tips and tricks video. Connected DashBoss, FICM Sync, FICM Volts, HPOP, ICP Volts all read normal. At key on, engine off IPR was 15%, cranking IPR was 85%. That led me to believe my IPR was bad. So, anyway, I went out to double check all the above readings, key on engine not running and cranking. Well, the engine started up this time. Monitors all seem good, and the truck is idling a lot smoother than before, so I assume the #2 injector was failing.

My takeaway since I am new to diesels. They (diesels) are not like gas engines in that they should be warmed up and it may take some cranking as opposed to a gas engine that fires or doesn't fire.

Is this logical?

·
Premium Member
2,741 Posts
When you replaced the injector, there was a large amount of air introduced into the high pressure oil system -- this air has to be compressed by the oil pump enough to activate the injectors, so it can be pushed out of the system -- this takes some crank time

The 85%(closed) does not mean the IPR is bad, it means the PCM is commanding the IPR to close more and more -- the only feedback is the ICP sensor on the oil rail

The long crank could indicate a leak in the high pressure system -- continue to monitor the ICP and IPR readings

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When you replaced the injector, there was a large amount of air introduced into the high pressure oil system -- this air has to be compressed by the oil pump enough to activate the injectors, so it can be pushed out of the system -- this takes some crank time

The 85%(closed) does not mean the IPR is bad, it means the PCM is commanding the IPR to close more and more -- the only feedback is the ICP sensor on the oil rail

The long crank could indicate a leak in the high pressure system -- continue to monitor the ICP and IPR readings
Thank you. I would be lost without this forum and people like you.

Thanks again!!!!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts