Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 F250 Powerstroke 6 speed and i had been having some prolbems out of it yesterday I was driving down the road and it started running really rough and jerking and wouldnt accelerate very good so i pulled over and it was idling rought jumping from around 600 rpm to around 900 rpm and then it died never had a check engine light. I tried to start it back and nothing so i unhooked the batterys and still nothing so i pulled the fuel filter(new filter about 400 miles ago) it had fuel in the cannister and put it back on and it fired right up and ran good all the way back home and ran fine today any ideas on what it might be??

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had a similar problem with very rough running, loss of power and finally stalling. It turned out to be a failed fuel pump. But a word of caution - the pump is easy to change out (get the simple tool to disconnect the fuel line fittings) but do not have Ford change it as they will charge an arm and leg.

O'Reilly Auto sells the pump for about $150 or so if you do indeed find this to be the problem.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sorry for the tardy response regarding the testing of the fuel pump...

I had to have Ford run a diagnostic on the unit since I didn't know what caused the loss of power problem. Looking back, I would not have taken it to the dealership but instead have taken it to a local shop where I know the owner and had him run the diagnostics.

Check online or with your auto parts shop as to recommendations for runing a pump test. I do know, having worked on a gasoline fuel injection system that I could connect a pressure guage to the fuel rail to check pump pressure at that point. I have not seen such a similar port but know that the Powerstroke has the same capability since Ford performed a similar check.

Good Luck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts