Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well about 1 week ago I made what is about a 100 mile drive into Wakefield, MI to look at some logging equipment. I had no problems at all until 5 minutes of checking out these machines when the dealers mechanic told me my truck sounded funny. None the wiser I let it slide and when leaving their lot the truck was missing and very hesitant at low RPMs shook very bad until I got to Normal highway speeds of 55 to 60 MPH then there was no problem. Was told everything from bad injector to a bad injector pump. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.:dunno:

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
The way it sounds is that when its under a load it misses, right? If so id look at fuel flow issues. Is there a check engine light or any black smoke? If you can run a buzz test.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
What year is your truck?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
truck info

the truck is a late 94 w/ a 7.3l factory turbo (D.I.T.). yes, when under load or shifting through the gears it run extremely rough and shakes really bad. it also make a clunking noise like there is a cylinder not firing. No light and wont show a code on comp. changed fuel filter 2 wks. ago and it ran great until last week. thanks. :doh: Sorry for forgetting this info. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
if you can, run a injector buzz test, cause i wouldnt be surprised if ya had a bad injector. do you have access to a scanner?

·
Premium Member
3,578 Posts
First a powerstroke doesn’t have an injector pump so don’t take advice from the person who told you the injector pump was bad.

Very well could be the valve cover wiring or plug is burnt or bad connection, also could be bad injector. It would be relatively easy to pull the valve covers and inspect the wiring. A buzz test AND contribution test should tell you if an injector is bad.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
^^^I agree with you, but the reason i was thinking an injector is because its only under load, a uvc harness could be more randomn.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks

after talking to a few guys that work on these trucks for a living they told me the same thing about the harness and or an injector. Thanks for the ideas guys.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts