Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just bought a 2011 F250 Lariat 6.7 Diesel Fully Loaded has FX4 Package and 75R18E Continental contitrac TR Tires. This thing feels like I am driving down a bumpy road even when I am on a newly paved Highway. 1700 miles on the truck. Today I put 500 lbs. in the bed and went down the interstate, back end fells fine but rough ride still there and seems to be different at different speeds. I then went to the Tire Dealer and asked them to road force balance the tires. I asked them to check them all first for a before and after. They put the them on thier road force balancing machine and said all of the tires were perfect and no need to change anything, only the driver side front was out .5 of an ounce. They were at 60psi before I pulled in and I had them put them all at 65psi.

After further test driving it seems the roughness is speed related and is worse between 40mph and 45mph in any gear. I was doing 40 in 6 then i dropped it to 5 then 4 and it stayed constant rough ride. I even had a friend drive it and he said the same thing, worse at 45mph

I drove at speed down one of the bumpiest roads around and the truck handled great.

This rough ride thing is killing me. I will take it back to the dealer tomorrow but I am afraid they will try to downplay it.

Could it be a slipped belt? or out of balance drive shaft? or tranny issue? Any ideas would be appreciated. Thank You.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Me thinks your drive shaft is out of balance.

Take it to the Ford house.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Took it to the Dealer today and the service manager drove it for a long drive. Unfortunately there are not a lot of smooth roads by this dealer. We did find a good little stretch where he agreed the truck did seem to ride rough even though the road was smooth. We then took out another truck from the lot and he said that he still felt a little rough ride on the smooth road but mine was more prevelant. He offered to put the tires from the other truck onto mine and drive it to see how that feels. We will do this in a couple days.

I then took this thing for a 40 mile highway drive and I hated it. Was not comfortable and I could feel this "out of round / balance" feeling the whole trip. I am sick to my stomach about this truck.

I don't think it is tires. I believe it is something like tjbrowder thinks. Maybe the output shaft of the transmission has a bad bearing? I will keep you posted.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
mine had bad shocks right from the lot. get them looked at . worth a try

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Took it back to the dealer Friday of last week. They put some Michelin Tires from a truck on the lot onto my truck. I drove it to work and have put about 100 miles on it with these tires. No difference. As a matter of fact, I think it is getting worse. It seems after it is warmed up it will shake/wobble/bind at 28mph to 32mph then again 40 - 45. seems to smooth out at 52 - 55. It is an "out of round", bad bearing, out of balance sensation with an occasional binding like a u-joint that is stiff / doesn't want to turn. The truck will actually move me side to side in my seat slightly as if I just went over a speed bump. Weird! I will be dropping it off at the dealer for him to take it home and see for himself. I have also called ford customer service and supposedly a customer area rep will be getting ahold of me in 2 days. The guy on the phone mentioned a buy back. I don't really want a buy back rather a fix or a different truck that actually rides correctly. I don't even want to drive this thing as I think It might be doing damage to the truck. Stay tuned or chime in with feedback.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I feel your pain Palerider. I have the exact same thing on my new dually. I can save you a lot of trial and error. I have done the following,
- first balanced the driveshaft
-second changed to a different set of tires(same brand)
-third put different tires/brand on all together
-fourth, put on expensive aftermarket shocks
-fifth, had Ford put on new "heavy duty" driveshaft
-drove three other duallys which all had simular ride effects

Guess what, she is what she is and its a pissoff. I believe it is a design issue with these new trucks and nothing will change that annoying harmonic hop. If you find something else that helps other than what I tried, please let us know. But hopefully this will help eliminate some things. Good luck and sorry.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I would recommend adding drive shaft geometry (angles) to the list of things that need to be checked. These two piece drive shafts tend to be finicky as they have an extra cardan joint so there is three angles that need sum out.

Had this same problem on a Dodge and the dealer was no help. Finally ended up buying an inclinometer and some angled shims for the rear spring perch and fixed it myself.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Nothing worse than a Bad riding truck!

I had to get rid of a 09 2500 LTZ GMC Extra Cab,due to "Frame Beaming" Even after the rear Hydraulic cab mount fix which fixed about 60% of it i still wasn't happy and Finally got Rid of the truck!

Funny thing is the 07 same truck only a Chevy rode freaking awesome ? Go Figure...should have kept that one :~(

Extra cabs and Crew cabs have this issue due to being so Long... Not all truck show it... just a lucky hand full LOL

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
derekwitt, did any of those things you tried make a difference?

I have been to a second dealer where a mechanic drove my truck and of course its the first one he's drivin. He did feel what I was talking about to a degree, it didn't give him its full effect during the short test drive. He said he needed to drive another truck off the lot, then he disappeared and the service manager and I drove another truck off the lot, I drove it. I could feel a similar vib but nothing like what my truck does.

Mine is getting worse, i actually had the steering wheel shaking at 48mph. This doesn't happen all the time but variations are happening all the time. I thought it was speed related but when I come to a stop sometimes it feels like something is still spinning "out of balance" right up until I am completely stopped.

I have had several friends drive it and they all agree its jacked! Ford so far is telling me that it is a "Characteristic of the Truck" I say Bull**** and a lawsuit is coming. I am losing so much time from work and this thing is causing turmoil between me and my wife cause I keep talking about it, pondering what I can do to get it fixed. I don't even want to drive it, it is that bad. This shouldn't be. This is a brand new vehicle 3 weeks old.

The last dealer I went to said they would have to get an FSE out. I haven'theard anything from Ford so I will call tomorrow. I'll update post with what happens next.

It seems to me Ford and the Dealers are experts at getting out of dealing with a problem, lots of double talk BS and excuses, like the problem is all in our heads and not real, and like it and we will just go away. This is a bad business practice. The funny thing is I don't want a different Truck, I really want this one to drive correctly because everything else about it is awesome. I need the space and capabilities it offers for my work and it it serves as a good family vacation vehicle as well. My 08 went to the east coast and florida and drove wonderfully. This one is getting 16 mpg around town, plenty of power and comfort and I expect 20+mpg on the highway at @ 60 - 65 mph.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I test drove one off the lot. This one was picked up from another dealer lot 800 miles away due to the features I was looking for. My last 5 trucks I have ordered and never test drove them because they were built to my options. My 6.4 I ordered and the dumb thing wondered left and right 1st day I had it. It took a couple weeks for them to fgure out it was bad tires (there was actually a recall by the mfg. on those tires) after a few alignments and test drives they replaced the tires and I was in love with the ride of that truck. After 45k I developed problems with it that never went away. I did a lot of things to get the ride back but nothing worked. Finally I traded it in and I received a truck with a worst ride. I found a TSB that addresses my issue. It is for a Driveline "binding" in the ELD (Electronic Locking Differential) I am confident this is my problem. Now I just need to get ford to apply this fix and we will see.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Two independant shops have now driven my truck and both have given me there Diagnosis in writing confirming my concern / problem with my vehicle. I am scheduled to have an FSE look at my vehicle in 6 days. I hope to God he confirms my issue and will finally allow the service guys to try and fix it. It seems as though the service managers will not work on my vehicle out of fear of a buy back request or something. We will see how this goes and I will let you know.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I don't mean this in any disrespecting way, but before you purchased a $50K truck didn't you test drive it? As bad as you describe the problem to be surely you would have been able to tell something was up. ...just wondering
I was in the same situation as PaleRider555 on a dodge several years back. A test drive, even a relatively long one, will not necessarily bring something like this to light. The truck is usually so different that what you are used to driving it's hard to pick out anything that's wrong. Also, it sometimes takes being at just the right driving condition long enough to pick it up, at a time when you are not checking out the new dash, playing with the seat adjustments, enjoying the smell of new plastic... and all that other fun stuff that comes with a new truck.

This is why a good dealer is so invaluable. If a customer says something is wrong with the truck the dealer needs to work it aggressively. I will never go back to the dealer I bought that dodge from, not because the truck had a quirk but because the dealer didn't deal with it appropriately.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I was in the same situation as PaleRider555 on a dodge several years back. A test drive, even a relatively long one, will not necessarily bring something like this to light. The truck is usually so different that what you are used to driving it's hard to pick out anything that's wrong. Also, it sometimes takes being at just the right driving condition long enough to pick it up, at a time when you are not checking out the new dash, playing with the seat adjustments, enjoying the smell of new plastic... and all that other fun stuff that comes with a new truck.

This is why a good dealer is so invaluable. If a customer says something is wrong with the truck the dealer needs to work it aggressively. I will never go back to the dealer I bought that dodge from, not because the truck had a quirk but because the dealer didn't deal with it appropriately.
Very well Put :thumb: I Too bought a 09 SLT GMC,The Ride was Awsome on the highway Best i've ever had...But the Intown ride after i got it home was the worse i have ever Know!!!

The Damn Thing had Frame beaming out the Arse! The hydraulic Rear cab mounts that they install as a Fix only fixed about 60% of the beaming...I couldn't stand the ride and all but gave the truck away to get rid of it!

This New Ford will have a Real test Drive Before I sign on the Dotted Line you can bet on that!

Far as Frame beaming goes,any extra or Crew cab truck can have it Ford,GM Or Dodge it don't matter...it's all about the Longer Frame,,,

the 07 i had before it was a Sweet riding truck,Same truck just an 07 Go Figure:dunno:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the recent comments. A Ford FSE supposedly came out and drove my truck. The Service manager called me and said he went with on the test drives and they found nothing wrong with my truck. Then they drove 2 other trucks off thier lot and he said my truck actually drove better than those 2. hmmm, makes me wonder, what is wrong with those 2?...............I picked it up and drove it home and it drove like ****. This is getting ridiculous and this process isn't working. I have since taken my truck to a business customer of mine who has a fleet of Ford and Chevy trucks and is a Master Mechanic, they have 150+ trucks in service and he is a die hard Ford guy. He had me drive 2 of thier new 11's like mine and I gotta tell ya, those trucks shake worse than mine. Unbelievable! He then drove one of them, was his first time, and said it feels like the transmission is hunting, it dowesn't know what gear to be in and he is not sure if it is a single lock up or a double lock up. Ok so, doeas Ford have a known issue with the transmission on these trucks? I am still looking into this and will share more.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It definetly could all be a transmission issue. I drove to a town about 30 miles away and back last night. On the way there the truck shook the whole way and when I got on it to pass someone it shook extremely. Worse ride yet. On the way back it was not as bad, actually drove decent but I think I can hold the pedal such that it won't act up. I am frustrated trying to pin point this problem. Best way to describe symtoms now is: A shudder / Out of Balance / Binding sensation. At times the front end feels loose too. Ughh!

·
Registered
60 Posts
A good friend of mine had a similiar issue with his f150, once he realized the selector switch was in 4wd the problem instantly went away after switching back to 2wd. He thinks his kid might have turned it somewhere along the line. I'm still not sure how he spent two days trying to figure out the problem when the "4x4" was lit up on his dash.

To be completely honest, I never test drove mine before buying it...didn't even start it in fact. I drove a similiar one on the lot, but I did sit in it for a few minutes though. Hopefully you can get this issue ironed out. Problems like that can really sour a persons opinions of what should be a great truck!

·
Registered
264 Posts
Thanks for the recent comments. A Ford FSE supposedly came out and drove my truck. The Service manager called me and said he went with on the test drives and they found nothing wrong with my truck. Then they drove 2 other trucks off thier lot and he said my truck actually drove better than those 2. hmmm, makes me wonder, what is wrong with those 2?...............I picked it up and drove it home and it drove like ****. This is getting ridiculous and this process isn't working. I have since taken my truck to a business customer of mine who has a fleet of Ford and Chevy trucks and is a Master Mechanic, they have 150+ trucks in service and he is a die hard Ford guy. He had me drive 2 of thier new 11's like mine and I gotta tell ya, those trucks shake worse than mine. Unbelievable! He then drove one of them, was his first time, and said it feels like the transmission is hunting, it dowesn't know what gear to be in and he is not sure if it is a single lock up or a double lock up. Ok so, doeas Ford have a known issue with the transmission on these trucks? I am still looking into this and will share more.
Yes there is an updated pcm and tcm flash for the trans hunting feeling. But I will say that your problem seems more severe, I hope it get works out.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.