Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Truck is 'coughing' & has a rough idle. Found traces of oil in air filter. Should I be thinking piston rings??

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
with truck at idle, remove oil filler cap, and lay it upside down on filler. If it pops off..(not by vibration, but pressure), you got issues, bud...:(

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
with truck at idle, remove oil filler cap, and lay it upside down on filler. If it pops off..(not by vibration, but pressure), you got issues, bud...:(
How bad are we talkin? An is there any way to tell which side or cylinder?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well oil cap vibrates off and doesn't get pushed off. Still hear a 'cough' coming from the air filter box. Any other ideas before I just start tearin into it would be great

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Pulled all the pushrods and rocker arms and all is ok with them. Ran a cylinder contribution test with AE SCANTOOL and it shows cylinder 5 balance out

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Correction code is - injector circuit contribution/balance fault. Any more suggestions?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Damn, not the "outlook" we're hope'n for....anyway for you do compression test/
How?? Where to take it? I've done all the other work myself, can't really see taking it somewhere for compression test. How can I get a kit to do it, cheaply?

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
google.... "7.3 compression tester" First link is great plus gives parts breakdown of what you need. It(this site) wont "directly" let me upload link.
That, or pay a dealership/mechanic the same amount, if not more, to do the same task.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
UPDATE... I've been running the truck 'as is'. Still idles and runs rough. I did the compression test on the driver side cylinders and all four got psi b/w 400 & 450. I did notice #8 injector had 'AB' on the solenoid... I had heard it should have 'AE' on it, is this true?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

1 - 18 of 18 Posts