Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
please help... rough idle, loss of power. Clueless now

i have a late 99 f-250 with 64,000 miles. Just bought it about 3 months ago. Here lately its been doing some crazy things. First of all it takes longer than normal to start even if its cold or hot outside. But most of all. After its been sitting a while i go to start it and it idles extremely rough and sometimes it even dies. Once you get going it will run for a second then it starts bucking and jerking. :dunno: Sounds like a vehicle with a huge camshaft in it, just loping really bad. But after a while it clears up. I just had the cam positioning sensor changed. And this weekend i changed the fuel filter and air filter. I thought i got some bad diesel maybe, so i put some additive in and filled it back up. i thought it was better, this morning i started it up and it did just fine. but then i took off from a red light and in mid acceleration it started the jerking and bucking again. then started idling rough again. then it cleared itself up again. the check engine light did come on but it didnt show any codes when i scanned it, then a few hours later the check engine light went off and hasnt come back on since I'm so confused. I'm new to PSD so any help would be greatly appreciated. :confused:

·
Registered
751 Posts
I'm interested to hear what this could be b/c mine did the same thing a few months after I had the dealership replace the cps. Did it for about 10 minutes and I went and put new fuel in and some additive and it cleared up after about 5 minutes of driving and hasn't done it since but doesn't seem to have the max power it used to either.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Have you drained the fuel water seperator yet? It is located on the top of your engine right behind and below the fuel filter. It has a yellow handle, flip that to the side, you should hear fuel starting to drain. Wait for a full minute, flip it back closed and start engine. This drains the water out of the filter. It is that which usually causes the motor to buck and run rough with no power or lessning power the longer you run it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts