Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I also removed my EGR valve and cleaned it and replaced the orings and gasket when I changed my CAC boots. The intake under the EGR valve was a little damp. I'm not losing coolant noticeably however.

·
Compression Ignition Addict
6,000 Posts
Looks like you have an injector issue (#4)

Might also have a cam shaft sensor or wiring) issue.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Bismic!

Any idea what that typically costs at a shop to get changed? Living in an rv park now and they don't allow you to work on vehicles :(

·
6,000 Posts
Let me ask - does the exhaust smoke smell like fuel? What color is it? Excess fuel will usually be a white exhaust smoke.

·
6,000 Posts
Yeah - you don't want to run that engine with an injector dumping fuel (which it sounds like that is at least one of your issues). That can cause severe engine damage.

You can buy an OEM remanufactured injector over the internet for $185 or so (AutoNation White Bear Lake). That said, a local dealership will probably charge around $240 for it.

The 05 and up injector part number is 4C3Z-9E527-BRM.

Do NOT buy a cheap injector! OEM Remans are the way to go.

The drivers side is the easier side at least. All-in-all, it will probably cost around $600 or maybe a little more - I can't recall the shop time number for an injector. They are charging $150 an hour last time I looked.

You probably should have them check the fuel pressure also. That is one of the more common things to cause injector damage. A dealership (or a good shop) has a way to simulate WideOpenThrottle, and the fuel pressure should be above 45 psi at worst case conditions (WOT).

How many miles on your truck and are the injectors original?

Reactions: Hydro

·
Premium Member
3,759 Posts
I agree with @bismic , good fuel pressure is critical to the life of the injectors

Banging my drum again:
All 6.0 trucks should have a fuel pressure, base oil pressure, and coolant pressure gauge -- fuel pressure at the very least
there are a few solutions to achieve this from mechanical gauges to fancy electronic gauges and combo units so there is only one gauge

Reactions: bismic

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah - you don't want to run that engine with an injector dumping fuel (which it sounds like that is at least one of your issues). That can cause severe engine damage.

You can buy an OEM remanufactured injector over the internet for $185 or so (AutoNation White Bear Lake). That said, a local dealership will probably charge around $240 for it.

The 05 and up injector part number is 4C3Z-9E527-BRM.

Do NOT buy a cheap injector! OEM Remans are the way to go.

The drivers side is the easier side at least. All-in-all, it will probably cost around $600 or maybe a little more - I can't recall the shop time number for an injector. They are charging $150 an hour last time I looked.

You probably should have them check the fuel pressure also. That is one of the more common things to cause injector damage. A dealership (or a good shop) has a way to simulate WideOpenThrottle, and the fuel pressure should be above 45 psi at worst case conditions (WOT).

How many miles on your truck and are the injectors original?
I believe right around 169k and I also think that they are original. Bought this truck used with 130k in January so I can't be 100%.

·
6,000 Posts
That is early for injector failure IMO. Get the fuel pressure tested.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts