Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 f250 with 188,xxx. For about a month it has been rough running on "cold" starts(morning temps have been in 80's, hardly cold) and it cranks, but runs rough at idle. When i take off it has hardly no power for about 10 miles, and as the engine warms up it gets better to the point of running great. If i shut it off for more than 30 minutes it does it all over again. Bough the truck used, but i do know the egr system has been replaced(i need to delete it, i know) just tested the ficm and getting 49.5 across the board. Currently running hss in it simply because it is locally available and rev-x isnt. had the stealership scan it and said it needed #5, 2, 7 injectors. if hss doesn't fix it i will try rev-x before dropping for injectors. with the miles, should i go ahead and do all 8? any help will be appreciated

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
I dont personally think changing all of them is necessary, you need to check fuel pressure. Do yo have the blue spring update?

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
I second that! Like southend said, check your fuel pressure. I did the Blue Spring update and it made a world of difference. If you do have to dive into the injectors try Warren Diesel and also put a new injector harness when you change them out.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
dont have the spring update yet...where would i check the fuel pressure at? my 7.3 had a schrader valve where i could check it but i havent seen one on this truck...my simple mind is wandering why it would run rough sometimes and smooth other times if it is the injectors, because when i get it out and open it up it runs pretty good, there is a lack of power though...this morning it was in the high 40's and it started right up but sounded and acted alot like my 96 7.3l...just looking at all the obvious things that i am missing that would be cheaper than injectors

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
also had oreilly's scan it and no codes popped up
I'm not sure the o' reilys scanner will catch all you need to know. Google 6.0 fuel pressure check, blue spring update, and ficm check procedure. Read the tech section and stickies, it's alot of info to type. Read the sticky on monitoring the 6.0

·
Registered
4,914 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
blue spring...check, cts monitor...check...showing #5 injector bad and twice #7 injector bad...only have sundays off and need to get fixed a.s.a.p. my only options are orielly's or autozone, which should i use?

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
Personally I stay away from AZ's electrical stuff but have had good luck with oreilley.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well, installed edge insight and the 2 injectors that it said were bad, ran great all week until this morning, was headed to work when all power was lost and started running rough and bucking, got it turned around and back to my camper. so far all codes that have come up today are p0403 p0404 p0405 p0197 p0278 p0271 p0266 p0269 none of the injector codes have showed up at the same time, but all the egr codes have(p0403 only when egr valve is unplugged) runs fine if you can keep it below about 15mph, but when you give it some throttle to go, NOTHING and it gets so bad it finally dies, then after a few tries it will crank back up. any help?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
everything that i can monitor on the edge looks good, only thing i can't monitor is egt's, havn't gotten the probe yet

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
What is your battery voltage cranking, your ficm voltage koeo, koec, and driving. You really need to check fuel pressure. Are you running motorcraft filters and caps? Have you pulled your egr valve and cleaned it? What is your ect and eot deltas? I believe your fuel pressure is bad, your ficm is shot, your batteries are weak, and your egr is dirty.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
battery voltage cranking is 12.8-13.0 ficm voltage is 48.5-49.5 in all phases, fuel pressure is between 58 and 63, all filters are motorcraft and brand new, egr valve is brand new, ect is 175-190, eot is 170-195

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
battery voltage cranking is 12.8-13.0 ficm voltage is 48.5-49.5 in all phases, fuel pressure is between 58 and 63, all filters are motorcraft and brand new, egr valve is brand new, ect is 175-190, eot is 170-195
Wow battery voltage cranking 12.8-13, thats impressive. I've seen where the ficm logic side board is bad with good voltages, maybe thats your issue. Does it ever run and idle good?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
it has ran awesome all last week...it still idles good...the truck has 191xxx on the clock and ive only had it about 30xxx of those and about 28xxx of those without any problem...it has only been acting up for about the past month

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
If injectors go bad, they don't get better. If you dropped an injector, it wouldnt run good after that, most especially smooth idle. My opinion is, your ficm is bad, or you have chaffing/bad harness somewhere.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Pulled off ficm last night, made sure all plugs were snug, didnt find any wire chaffing, cranked the truck up and idled for about 10 minutes and it started running real rough and was bucking, then it died slowly, almost like running out of fuel...now it will not fire up...will turn over just fine...fuel filters are new, bouth housings are clean, secondary is full of fuel...im about fed up with this pos

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
alright guys, a little updating...got two new injectors and installed them, truck was running fine for about a week and it started acting up again, and while going down the road one morning it just died, got it running again after about 10 minutes and limped it back home...sent the ficm in to ficmrepair and got it back yesterday...installed the ficm and made sure everything was tight and plugged in, got it running and let it idle for about 15 minutes or so, and was going to drive around for a little while, well i made it about 1/2 mile and it died on me, got it running again after about 10 minutes and got it back home barely(had to push it the last 100 yds cause it died again...got home from work today and cranked it and got it running after the 2nd try(kinda cool last night and all day and wasn't plugged in...it has been idleing for over an hour and hasn't died yet, but i know if i take off it will...im thinking about taking it to the ford house, but should i get them to diagnose it and fix what they come up with or just give them a list to fix it, also what are some suggestions to what could be going on? hpop? lpop?

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
What is your icp read when this happens, is your icp located under the turbo?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts