Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I was wondering you fellow Michiganders. How many would be willing to help me redo my roof. It is in pretty bad shape and most likely will need to be done before winter.

So how many are willing to help me out. By the way I have no clue how to roof. So I hope one of you do.

·
a truck
13,142 Posts
If I was closer Id be there to give you a hand, roofings not bad at all, just time consuming

·
Premium Member
31,729 Posts
Steel or shingles?

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Steel or shingles?
If I had my way it would be diamond plate aluminum. But it will shingled.

It has two layers now. So it will have to be stripped to the wood and then felt paper then shingled. I will also have to install ice damn protection as well.
Along with some new flashing.

I will provide steaks and beer for dinner each evening.

·
Registered
169 Posts
If I had my way it would be diamond plate aluminum. But it will shingled.

It has two layers now. So it will have to be stripped to the wood and then felt paper then shingled. I will also have to install ice damn protection as well.
Along with some new flashing.

I will provide steaks and beer for dinner each evening.
:drool:

Man that's a hell of a deal! Times like this I wish I lived closer.. Just some advice, don't try to 'patch' anything up, if there is some wood that needs to be redone, replace it and look around for other damage if there is any. Good luck with the recruiting

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I think a full weekend would be needed to get this done. Start on Saturday Morning bright and early. I can have it stripped off already that is not to hard to do.

It is the repairing any bad wood, laying the tar paper, and ice damn protection, and shingles that I need help with.

To strip it all I need is a shovel from what I seen with roofing companies. Park my trailer along the side of the house. Place a tarp over it and start taking off the old roof.

If my measurements are correct I am looking at about 500 dollars for materials. Not including any wood that may need to be replaced.

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

The area circled in yellow is the roof in question. This is the are that needs to be redone before this winter. Now this does include the back side as well.

·
Premium Member
31,729 Posts
Any roof vents or pipes in that area? I dont see any on the front side of the house

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Any roof vents or pipes in that area? I dont see any on the front side of the house
One on the backside for the hot water heater and the boiler. No vents at all from the attic which maybe changed when the roof is done. I was thinking about soffit vents and a ridge vent.

·
Premium Member
31,729 Posts
One on the backside for the hot water heater and the boiler. No vents at all from the attic which maybe changed when the roof is done. I was thinking about soffit vents and a ridge vent.
Scott do it in steel. Its not gonna cost that much more. And you will never have to do it again. If you get me the measurements I can get you a quote:thumb:

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Scott do it in steel. Its not gonna cost that much more. And you will never have to do it again. If you get me the measurements I can get you a quote:thumb:
If I do it in steel, then I want to do the whole roof. You know that other section that is above the second story. So if I do that then I want to make it a full 2 story house. My foundation has already been approved for it. Blue prints have been drawn up thanks to my cousin who needed a project for college.

But I don't have the money to do that big of a remodel right now.

But when I do the remodel I will be making it a full two story house, with wrap around front porch, two car attached garage, and it will have the STEEL roof.

But for now I need something that will last at least another 10 years when I plan on doing that remodel.

·
Premium Member
31,729 Posts
If I do it in steel, then I want to do the whole roof. You know that other section that is above the second story. So if I do that then I want to make it a full 2 story house. My foundation has already been approved for it. Blue prints have been drawn up thanks to my cousin who needed a project for college.

But I don't have the money to do that big of a remodel right now.

But when I do the remodel I will be making it a full two story house, with wrap around front porch, two car attached garage, and it will have the STEEL roof.

But for now I need something that will last at least another 10 years when I plan on doing that remodel.
Sounds like a plan man. That little section if its tore off when everyone gets there and you have 2 coil nailers should take about half a day or so

·
4,488 Posts
Looks like about 15sq front and back, might want to add some to your material budget.
With 20yr shingles, moisture guard, felt, flashing, ridge vent, and soffit vents figure about $1500, roofing materials have more than doubled in price in the last 18 months.

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Ok I was off by about 800 dollars on my material cost. But that is ok I can still do it. Just got educated on how big a sqaure is in roofing terms.

Roof is aproximately 980 sq ft. So that is just about 10 squares. If what I am told is correct. 1 square is 10ftx10ft= 100 square ft. So 980/100=9.8 round up to 10.

If I am wrong on this please let me know.

So shingles 24 dollars a bundle need 3 bundles per square=30 bundles that is 720 dollars. 15 pound felt at 24 dollars a rool need 4 rolls that is 96 dollars, Ice protection at 70 dollars a roll need 8 rolls= 560. Plus caulk, and nails that comes out to be about 1500 dollars.

I should really just keep to working on motorized things. Much simplier then this.

·
4,488 Posts
Better get 11sq, you'll need starter and ridge plus a there will be a little waste in the valleys. :thumb:

The ONLY vent ridge I have found that fine powdery snow doesnt blow into is "Low Omni Roll" by Lomanco.

P.S. your floor sq footage doesnt translate into roof sq footage.
For example: if you have 800 sq ft of living space and 100 sq ft of porch space (900 sq ft total) with a 5/12 pitch roof you will use approx 13 sq of shingles.

·
Premium Member
14,367 Posts
Like Tone knows what he's talking about. :hehe::hehe::hehe:

Everyone knows Craig would have NEVER had his garage built had it not been for me standing there like an idiot with my hands on my hips. :rofl:

·
Infidel
5,166 Posts
Like Tone knows what he's talking about. :hehe::hehe::hehe:

Everyone knows Craig would have NEVER had his garage built had it not been for me standing there like an idiot with my hands on my hips. :rofl:
But you looked like a professional! :hehe:
Listen to what Tone tells ya'. This man knows what he is talking about.

Wish I was closer or had unlimited funds. I'd love to come up and lend a hand and meet you Northern fellas.:thumb:

Craig

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok official costs of material is 1,431.72. That is 40 year 3d black shingles, along with everything else I need to do my roof.

Sept. 11-13 will be the weekend I will do this. I will tear off on the 11th and put the new roof on Sept. 12th. if I need to I will finish on the 13th.

So who is up to come help.

W

·
0 Posts
wow, sorry i missed this.... where was my PM????? im in... i have most of the tools needed to do this from the special roof stripping shovels to the nailers... keep me updated....

PS... if you dont like PMing you do have my number :poke

1 - 20 of 20 Posts