Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a little back ground on my situation first. I just sold my 09 and had every intention in buying a 2012. After reading more more about the lack of power tuned I changed my mind for now. My buddy was in a bind financially and sold me his 08 for real cheap. It has 56,000 miles and is bone stock. Has been stock all its life. I have no experience with a stock 6.4 as mine have always been tuned the day after purchasing them. So I am not sure what is normal as far as engine sounds go in stock form. Here is the deal. At idle there seems to be a different sound on the passenger side of the engine. I would call it a very light thumping. It almost sounds like a deep exhaust tone from a gasser. You wouldn't be able to hear with the hood down unless you knew what to listen for. It is noticeable to me with the hood up and changes tones when I open and close the air filter lids. I have searched about the noise and it usually points to a rocker arm. I listened to a few sound clips online of trucks with the issue. The sound clips online were very noticeable in the video even with the hood down. I took a video of mine to compare. Mine sounds almost normal on video. Is this a cause for concern?

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I will probably do that but I am just ready to tune this thing but don't want to have to strip everything off if I have to go to the dealer

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did check it for codes and nothing. I am sure if it would throw a code though for a broken or damaged arm

·
Premium Member
3,940 Posts
If its a bad rocker, bent push rod or a bad lifter I personally would get it checked out ASAP as you are taking a chance of a valve contacting a piston and that will turn this good deal on a truck into a very lousy one.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would think this would be covered under warranty? 08 with 56k miles. And everything sounds normal inside the cab

·
Premium Member
3,940 Posts
Not sure and if it is warranty covered is the warranty valid for you since your not the original owner? Maybe someone can chime in that knows for sure.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would think the ford factory warranty is transferrable but not sure. If its not covered I def won't be taking to the dealer to have them diagnose it or work on it

·
Don't you worry about it
8,335 Posts
yes the warranty is transferable

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good deal

·
Registered
4,609 Posts
When mine broke a rocker arm it threw a cylinder contribution code.

·
Premium Member
364 Posts
Every 6.4 that we have ever torn down to remanufacture had bad wear on the ends of the rocker arms. We don't even mess with them any more, we replace the entire assembly on every reman.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Here is a little back ground on my situation first. I just sold my 09 and had every intention in buying a 2012. After reading more more about the lack of power tuned I changed my mind for now. My buddy was in a bind financially and sold me his 08 for real cheap. It has 56,000 miles and is bone stock. Has been stock all its life. I have no experience with a stock 6.4 as mine have always been tuned the day after purchasing them. So I am not sure what is normal as far as engine sounds go in stock form. Here is the deal. At idle there seems to be a different sound on the passenger side of the engine. I would call it a very light thumping. It almost sounds like a deep exhaust tone from a gasser. You wouldn't be able to hear with the hood down unless you knew what to listen for. It is noticeable to me with the hood up and changes tones when I open and close the air filter lids. I have searched about the noise and it usually points to a rocker arm. I listened to a few sound clips online of trucks with the issue. The sound clips online were very noticeable in the video even with the hood down. I took a video of mine to compare. Mine sounds almost normal on video. Is this a cause for concern?

Mine did this at 115,000. It turned out to be two seriously worn exhaust rockers. It sounded exactly like what you mentioned. On mine, I only lost about 2% compression in the two cylinders, and fortunately did not drop a valve. When the compression dropped in the cylinders however, that missing pressure blew by into the crankcase and I started getting seepage at the rear main.

It's definitely going to need a cab off and replacement of the rockers. Take it to the dealer, let them do it under warranty, and then delete it.

Just my thoughts. Good luck.

·
Registered
4,609 Posts
You do not need to remove the cab to replace the rockers. It can be done cab on.

·
Registered
4,609 Posts
No problem man. Just figured i would let you know that way if its out of warranty its cheaper labor if you dont remove the cab :thumb:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts