Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2004 ford f350 SD 4x4. Have an issue with the rear suspension auxiliary spring (aka : overloads.)
Will road salt deteriorate the springs? Well, my just broke with out a load...is that common??

·
Registered
606 Posts
yes it can cause damage if it is ran hard and never washed , the liquid salt mix they drop is even harder it played hell on my semi frame rails . or it had a weak spot in it when it was made

·
Premium Member
9,443 Posts
I have 2004 ford f350 SD 4x4. Have an issue with the rear suspension auxiliary spring (aka : overloads.)
Will road salt deteriorate the springs? Well, my just broke with out a load...is that common??

You need to find a woolwax undercoater. Its a wet undercoating that prevents rust. Its not a one and done thing but doesn't trap the corroison or rust like hard coating. Do some research on woolwax and you'll see really quickly the benefits.

·
Premium Member
764 Posts
Salt wrecks vehicles. Period.

Yes the salt can and will eventually rust out everything. Frames, springs, body, wiring. You name it.

Post up a couple picture of the trucks snd areas you’re concerned about.

We spray vehicles up here with oil, every has their favourite oils or rust inhibitors. Big shops here do it in less than an hour, the get under it, pressure wash it, and spray it with big spray guns. Personally, I wash my trucks out my self, let it dry out several days, and then spray it down - every thing and everywhere, inside and out, top to bottom, with a couple of differnt rust inhibitors every year.

·
Registered
127 Posts
i don't know if you have the ability to since road salt comes with freezing weather, but whenever we have some spread and it warms up, or after a trip on the beach, i put a garden sprinkler under the truck for a bit

·
Registered
606 Posts
i have always washed my truck when i get the chance. that and i put a good wax coating on the outside and door frames. there are aton of rust preventers to be put on and the guys in the U.P do love using the wet spray on methods

·
Administrator
22,453 Posts
Is this real life?
No offense to OP, but do people even use google?

You dont have an "issue" you have a broken spring, we also dont know what kind of life that truck has lived for the past 17years.
For all we know it was used to spread salt and tow heavy trailers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts