Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! Im new to this sight, and a new owner of an 06 ford crew cab super duty. I have a fith wheel trailer that weighs about 14K. Im looking to put an intake and exaust(after market) on my ride but have no clue in which direction to go with it. I read all the big ads in the magazines and hear all the horor stories about the head bolts and egrs... I dont really want to build a monster but I dont want to be a big wuss either. Bring ont the suggestions... thank you

·
Premium Member
24,835 Posts
welcome to the org, the stock air filter will flow grreat up to 450hp, you could spend the money elsewhere.

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
In order to give you a correct answer. We would need to know what engine you have. Being you are talking about head studs and egr's I am guessing you have a 6.0L.

Well if all your doing is an intake and exhaust. You should not have to worry about your heads or egr. But if you add a programmer to it then you would need to think about doing head studs and an egr delete.

What I suggest you do is get an AFE intake, 4 inch exhaust. Then get a tuner. After the tuner you will want to think about replacing the egr with an egr delete when the egr fails. When the head bolts go, replace them with the head studs.

It is more of when do you want to spend the money. If you want to and you are able to. Go ahead do all of it at once. Or you can do it in steps like most of us have done.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply... Is there any advise to squeese more milage out of the tank... I get pretty good now, but there is always desire for more...

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Is the truck an auto or a 6 speed??

Either way, Get you either a cat and muffler delete (straight pipe) or a good 4" Turbo back exhaust. The stock filter is good to about 450 hp (as mudrunninpig said), Get some gauges (exhaust gas temp, boost and trans temp are the common and most important ones) Pickup an SCT X3 with CUSTOM tunes. and eventually delete the EGR. You should not have anything to worry about then. And maintainence is VERY vital to these trucks!!!!!

oh yeah, WELCOME TO THE .ORG!!! :welcome2::welcome2::welcome2:

EDIT: was typing while bigcountry posted! his info is GREAT and an SCT will net you some MPGs!

·
Registered
2,988 Posts

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
I am going with the flow and praying they don;t go. one of the MAJOR causes for the head gasket failure is a failure of the EGR cooler. You can search around here and find TONS of info on that. I plan on doing the EGR delete soon but gotta get a lil $$$$ first. Also, since you have an Auto, I will DEFINITELY stand behind SCT with custom tunes, it tunes the engine control computer as well as the transmission control module. Most of the other "big name" tuners only tune the engine so th trans isn't ready for the power with firmer shifts and pressures. Search SCT here and you will be OVERWHELMED with threads about the SCT and you will notice a LOT of the 6.0 guys here run them!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
EGR delete soon but gotta get a lil $$$$
I hear you on that... I know that the dealership that I bought it from has just replaced the EGR rail... Did you find that your exaust performed the way you expected or was it kinda EGGHH!!! when you set it up... would you recomend the one you got?

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
As far as exhaust. yes, I have the MBRP 4" cat-back, if I could do it again, I would go turbo back. BUT, it works out because upon visual inspection, I still have a Cat and Muffler.

The zoodad is a hole cut into the fiberglass header directly in front of your intake tube. Open the hoods, look at the end of your intake pipe (between the headlight and grille) you will see there is a 'wall' blocking a straight shot of air in. cut a hole there.
The hi-idle mod is when you take a positive 12 volt source, run it through a switch to a wire under the dash that was put there by ford for ambulance, tow truck, PTO, use. What this does is, with the truck in park and the emergency brake set, it spikes the idle up to about 1200 rpm. I use mine for warming up on cold mornings (warms up a lil faster) and when I am jumping someone over.

Use the search function at the top of the screen and you will find a plethora of knowledge grasshoppa! :poke :hehe:

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Thank you master... you have great knowledge old wise one...lol
:funnypost::hehe::rofl::hehe::rofl::hehe::rofl:

I have only had my diesel since February and am only 23!!! There are some masters here, and that is where I learned EVERYTHING i have just shared with you!!! Just search and troll around and you will learn MOUNTAINS of info!

Oh yeah, and get some pics of your ride up!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts