Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well my trailer that I just bought is all rigged up so I am re wiring it, I have the trailer stripped right now of the wires but my question is coming out of each drum there are two white wires, how do I wire these up?? which is positive and which is negative? Now that I think about it, is one of them for the electric brakes and the other for that TAP box ( the box that if the trailer comes unhooked the brakes lock up)? Where is the best place to get a nice heavy duty wiring kit for the trailer?? Thanks....

·
Registered
640 Posts
One wire goes to your brake controller, the other is ground. I would check trucking industry supply stores for good wiring products.

·
Registered
640 Posts
well my trailer that I just bought is all rigged up so I am re wiring it, I have the trailer stripped right now of the wires but my question is coming out of each drum there are two white wires, how do I wire these up?? which is positive and which is negative?
Now that I think about it, is one of them for the electric brakes and the other for that TAP box ( the box that if the trailer comes unhooked the brakes lock up)?
Where is the best place to get a nice heavy duty wiring kit for the trailer?? Thanks....
The breakaway box has to be wired up so that it sends full voltage to the brakes if the pin is pulled. Your brake wires are still one hot and one ground.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I took that break away off I didnt use it anyway, which wire is hit and which is ground both wires coming out of the drum are white with no markings or anything on them..

·
Registered
92 Posts
i use to work on these on the side some the wires are the same color that i have always seen both white both black usually. it don't matter it is an electro magnet. one hot (+) one neg. (-) and i never liked grounding directly to the frame run two wires back there for the brakes and ground to trailer frame also. and besure you run the ground wire to the trailer plug so they can get the ground through the plug not the ball because it don't always ground good. the ground can give you alot of headaches:thumb: if you use the trailer frame only and go through the ball when you go down the road empty your running lights and such will more than likely flicker when you hit bumps so be sure to use the plug.

·
Premium Member
9,603 Posts
:ditto: Doesnt matter what wire is what, and I would also suggest running ground through plug as well as frame. And make sure you use a good 12 gauge or bigger wire for the brakes and not the standard 18 gauge wire for the lights.

·
Registered
433 Posts
On mine i just touched the leads and had someone hit the brakes, you will hear the brake drum engage when it is correct.

·
Premium Member
11,892 Posts
I took that break away off I didnt use it anyway, which wire is hit and which is ground both wires coming out of the drum are white with no markings or anything on them..
I would put the break away back on. If you are pulling that trailer and would happen to get pulled over you could get fined. At least that is the way it is in Indiana.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I am in the process of rewiring my trailer as well, after doing a bit of research I found that if the trailer is equiped with electric brakes you have to have a breakaway kit installed. Thats another $40+ I have to spend now...:(

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
well my trailer that I just bought is all rigged up so I am re wiring it, I have the trailer stripped right now of the wires but my question is coming out of each drum there are two white wires, how do I wire these up?? which is positive and which is negative? Now that I think about it, is one of them for the electric brakes and the other for that TAP box ( the box that if the trailer comes unhooked the brakes lock up)? Where is the best place to get a nice heavy duty wiring kit for the trailer?? Thanks....
Checkout this place for trailer stuff.They are a retail store in Delaware that has a huge selection of stuff.They carry everything except the trailer bodies.
Trailer Parts Superstore & Eastern Marine Delaware Showroom

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks everyone for your help, as usual if it werent for you guys I would be in a lot of trouble most of the time trying to figure stuff out.......Thanks...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts