Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings everyone! Let me preface this with I was a die hard "T6 or bust" guy for years... ever since I got my company trucks in 2010. For the sake of this thread and discussion, it’s a 6 truck fleet of all 6.0 Powerstrokes (four are 2006, two are 2007) and those of you in here who know how picky they are with oils, you know this also makes it a great test bed for new products. Triax isn't necessarily new, but they were a new brand to me. As I’ve mentioned, I always just bought bulk Rotella T6 for all of the trucks (and even some of my little gas vehicles like my Hyundai accent - YES, I KNOW about the cats, etc.) and used it, changing oil religiously every 7500-7800 miles. I always also used the genuine OEM Motorcraft FL2016 filters. Now on to the good stuff… I stumbled upon triax by accidently misspelling one of my searches into amazon and bam – there it was. Who is this mysterious stranger offering a 5 gallon pail shipped to the door for under $120? Further research led me to their product data PDF and then I really began the side by side comparisons. Needless to say, I was pleasantly surprised to see how their TBN and additive package met or exceeded their industry peers. One thing was immediately clear: This 5w40 Fleet Supreme ESP has the Rotella T6 customer base in its crosshairs. I took the plunge. A few days later there was two glorious pails on my dock and in came one ’06 and one ’07 truck for an oil change. The oil came out of the pail a beautiful rich golden color and is MUCH more of a rich color than the T6 I was used to using (yes, I know that color doesn’t amount to a hill of beans). I assume the color differences is due to the enhanced additive package, particularly the high quantities of Molybdenum and/or Boron. The T6 was drained, and a Blackstone kit was filled from each truck. This is being done specifically so I can have a side by side comparison when I drain the Triax in a few months. The trucks were filled to the proper level with the Fleet Supreme and with a flick of the wrist both trucks sprang to life with their new blood. Both trucks were immediately running at a significantly lower volume… not the exhaust note, but a distinct reduction in rocker noise, injector spool valve clacking- overall lower engine bay volume. The REAL test of all of this is not this immediate change but how long it stays that way due to the murderous shearing of the high-pressure oil pumps in my beloved 6.0 powerstrokes.

After a few days of some <30F starts, I can say I do feel the trucks MAY be starting a hair “quicker” than with the previous lubricant. I would note it as “faster to get all cylinders igniting evenly” although this happens in a matter of seconds. For the record, the trucks are all maintained with OEM injectors which are all measured to be extremely close in operation on a cylinder contribution test with the intent of not blaming anything on the oil that is the fault of imbalanced injectors.

One thing I do want to bring up is that the oil does not have the API starburst and does not appear to be officially API approved. This however, is not going to deter me from putting it to the test and to get an analysis done so I can determine for myself how this oil stands up in our 6.0 trucks. This also doesn't mean this is a poor quality oil or anything else negative, it simply means they didn't spend money and time on the approval process. I'll let my experience, empirical evidence, and Blackstone be what determines if this is a quality lubricant. So far, I'm sticking with "excellent quality".

A note on the API approval directly from Triax in an email correspondence with me:

"The reason why we do not have some of our products API approved is because of the heavy modifications which went into them. Mostly the use of esters and moly / boron combination, plus a higher grade VI improver. API certifies only pre-approved formulations. It costs only 4000 USD per year to get an API approval for a run of the mill formulation, which can be bought from any additive manufacturer. If those formulations change in any way (they dont care if you make it better), you have to pay API to approve it (300,000 to 500,000 USD per fluid per grade). People really forget that API is a business like any other business and API performance standards are really not that great compared to some of the OEM specs, especially Volvo VDS-4.5 / 4, MAN 3575, etc.

99% of the API approved motor oils on the market are cookie cutter formulas bought from one of the 5 major additive manufactures and blended into the oil. Essentially, users buy the same oil under hundreds of brand names. These formulations are pre-approved by the additive maker and sold to all their blender customers.

We do not do this, never have and never will."

·
california deplorable
11,264 Posts
subscribed :D
i would also add that IF i remember things correctly it takes at least two oil changes after a swap to get an accurate idea of what the new oil is doing and the first will have many deposits from the previous oil added which can make it appear to have more gunk in the oil than staying with a single oil.
also injector clatter etc is always much quieter after getting fresh oil a hard one to keep in mind when at every oil change i am saying why didn't i do this sooner i cant believe how much happier my injectors sound...
and i change my oil religiously at 5k intervals and i notice a HUGE difference.
and of course starting injector sound over all clatter even eagerness to get up and run seems improved with fresh oil regardless of many other contributing factors including but not limited to additives weight synth percentages etc.
if you are changing at 7.5 to 7.8 k it will be like 15k before you have a real accurate test for the new oil.
that all said
very interested in how it performs long haul. i switched over to delo a couple changes ago and my truck seems to like it better than t6 but again it is a tad hard to say how much because face it...with heui injectors it is going to love fresh oil no matter what filtration etc we use and if we changed every thousand miles the truck would love that more than any particular brand.
again though that said anything outside the big five has a great potential to intrigue me :nod:
the real test would be to run a truck or two on the new stuff the name of which i already forget :tard:
and run a couple on delo and a couple on t-6 then tear them down and see what kind of wear and deposits we are looking at
but i sure don't have time or money for such research...maybe a go fund me :hehe:

·
Registered
93 Posts
Thanks checking it out and posting the info.

Needless to say, I was pleasantly surprised to see how their TBN and additive package met or exceeded their industry peers.
I assume the color differences is due to the enhanced additive package, particularly the high quantities of Molybdenum and/or Boron.
I didn't see any VOA or UOA posted on BITOG.

Did you by chance send a new oil sample out for analysis?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will be sending a virgin sample for analysis. You can also find detailed chemical information on their blends and the contents of their additive package on their website. Sadly I dont have enough "internet points" to post links yet hahah! Head over to Triax Lubricants website and under their TRIAX FLEET SUPREME 15W-40 FULL SYNTHETIC - CK-4 section and in there is the product data sheet for all of their top of the line diesel blends, including the 5w40 I am testing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
On a whim today, I met up with a friend who has access to a Ford IDS VCM cable + Software and found a minor improvement in injector contribution balance. Graph showing a very pleasing line with little deviation. Last time this was done I had about 5500 miles on Amsoil 15w40 DME and had injectors +/-12% deviation. With the Triax this evening I saw about 8% or less deviation. Not sure why Id be seeing such changes because to my knowledge, the injectors and everything were in perfect health before the oil change. I dont want to imply that magic oil can fix "broken" injectors, but just wanted to comment back and say that I am getting small improvements in the fuel system.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Triax Fleet Supreme Synthetic Oil Review (Follow up from 1/2018)

Greetings! I am here today to post a positive testimonial and also the raw lab results from Blackstone after spending 7300 miles on Triax Fleet Supreme in my 6.0 work truck. I am in the IT business so my truck has a pretty easy life for the most part. However, we do tow a 7200lb travel trailer quite frequently to large job sites so there is a fair amount of loaded towing as well. Attached to this post you'll find my lab results from Blackstone. Yeah, some of my information is on there, please treat it with respect.

I will be using this oil in my truck and the other trucks we have here. The customer service is good, the pails they ship in is good, and the value of the product is excellent. This oil went toe-to-toe with the Amsoil I drained out and can be gotten for around $100 for a 5 gallon pail (retail prices, wholesale may be way better?). My truck was extremely quiet and the injectors were happy as could be. This oil also yielded a slight overall improvement in the temperature delta between the coolant and oil, netting me an average difference of 5F-7F, which was previously averaging 8F-11F difference.

Bottom line: Some guy tried the Triax full synthetic Fleet Supreme engine oil and had great results. Sent labs off and had positive results after a 7500 mile run.

Report is attached to post.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.