Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone has mounted any reverse lights in the area between the tailgate and bumper. I've seen the tailgate bars by Recon and Putco but am looking for something that is probably a lot brighter than what those two manufacturers offer. I currently get "dead spots" on my backup camera because my other lightbars are mounted on the sides and don't illuminate the area directly below the camera even with a 40* pattern. Anyone have any advice for lights that would fit above the bumper, between the tailgate, and still allow for the tailgate to fully open and close? Can't mount anything directly below because my hitch is in the way and I don't want to drill holes in it and there isn't enough room on the bumper's underside to mounts lights that would clear the hitch. I've seen this contraption but am not sold on the way it looks...

Have also seen the license plate bracket which would work and is perfect for my particular application but am very concerned about theft since a lightbar would be very vulnerable and easy to steal by just undoing a few nuts and bolts.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I've actually got the Recon "Xtreme" scanning light bar with the white LED reverse lights, red running lights and brake lights, and amber scanning turn signals. I like the bar so far, but as far as illuminating behind the truck for your application... I'd say probably not. I do notice quite a bit more light behind me than just the two reverse lights in the tail lights, but it's not enough to light up enough to provide a clear area for a camera. However, I could be wrong. I don't have a backup camera, but my girlfriends Jeep Grand Cherokee does and I think my truck puts out more light that her Jeep, and her camera works just fine at night?... So... I'm not real sure. But it couldn't hurt!

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Her camera works just fine at night?... So... I'm not real sure. But it couldn't hurt!
Thanks for the reply. If I can't find anything that fits in that area, I'll probably get a Recon bar like yours. I used to be able to see just fine at night with just my taillights' light but I put on some aftermarket lights which gives me dead spots but looks like an atomic bomb just went off and blinds everyone around me...

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks! Finally got the Dura Flaps on after they were sitting on my back seat's floor for about three months. The little square lights are made by Vision X. I bought them from a local 4x4 shop but Vision X lists a whole whack of retailers online. There might be one in your area though.

Vision X USA

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
aaahh ....those are rectangles :thumb:

·
Now I'm Strokin6.4Liters
2,447 Posts
I want to see a night shot with all these lights turned on

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
aaahh ....those are rectangles :thumb:
I've got two small 2" square lights in addition to the two rectangular lightbars.

I want to see a night shot with all these lights turned on
It's blinding. People flash their brights at me all the time when all I have on are my fog lights. Guess 50 watt LED fog lights was overkill. I'll try and get some night shots sometime this week.

Still debating on whether or not to get another lightbar (same size) for the front but with amber LEDs to use in foul winter. They'd be 3 watt LEDs and depending on if I go with the double stack or the quadruple stack there will be 36 or 72 LEDs. Leaning towards the 36 as it will fit better in the location I want it to but the 72 LED model is only $500 more so it can be justified but it will stick out if I put it underneath my bumper. Shop told me to mount the quad stack bar in the bumper hole (it would take up the entire hole) and get a lightbar that mounts between my tow hooks and mount the LED bar on top of that. I want the amber one low to the ground so it can cut through the fog so that's why I wanted the "smaller" lightbar.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I've got two small 2" square lights in addition to the two rectangular lightbars.

It's blinding. People flash their brights at me all the time when all I have on are my fog lights. Guess 50 watt LED fog lights was overkill. I'll try and get some night shots sometime this week.

Still debating on whether or not to get another lightbar (same size) for the front but with amber LEDs to use in foul winter. They'd be 3 watt LEDs and depending on if I go with the double stack or the quadruple stack there will be 36 or 72 LEDs. Leaning towards the 36 as it will fit better in the location I want it to but the 72 LED model is only $500 more so it can be justified but it will stick out if I put it underneath my bumper. Shop told me to mount the quad stack bar in the bumper hole (it would take up the entire hole) and get a lightbar that mounts between my tow hooks and mount the LED bar on top of that. I want the amber one low to the ground so it can cut through the fog so that's why I wanted the "smaller" lightbar.
aaah.... didn't even see them

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Couldn't find a lightbar to fit where I originally wanted to put one. I just bought two more Solstice Solo 2" square LEDs in a 35* pattern that I'll be mounting underneath the bumper just beside where the safety chains hookup. Another 1804 lumens to add... Will get pictures once I install them tomorrow.

·
Real Men of Genius
5,309 Posts
I really like those Vision X USA rectangular lights! How well do they work?

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Their stuff is definitely a quality product. The casings are strong and the lights they use are very bright. My only real concern about their products is that they're expensive and can be easily stolen if they are not installed with some type of anti-theft device. Originally, I was going to use tamper proof screws but I ended up getting the bolts and nuts tac welded so they can't be turned unless you gring the weld off.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Their stuff is definitely a quality product. The casings are strong and the lights they use are very bright. My only real concern about their products is that they're expensive and can be easily stolen if they are not installed with some type of anti-theft device. Originally, I was going to use tamper proof screws but I ended up getting the bolts and nuts tac welded so they can't be turned unless you gring the weld off.
Alberta must have a very high crime rate?

·
Real Men of Genius
5,309 Posts
Alberta must have a very high crime rate?
Sheet... people will steal anything, anywhere nowadays. I tac-welded my exhaust tip on for crying out loud. :hehe:

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
We don't have a super high crime rate in my city but our capital has like 40 killings this year, so far! However, I do have several thousand dollars invested in my lights and I'd like to keep them on my truck and not on someone else's.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So the Solstice Solo 2" squares wouldn't mount underneath the bumper and there was no way to get the light's bracket to be sturdy enough mounting it to the plastic so we scrapped that idea. Instead, we decided on another lightbar. Got some brackets fabbed up and am getting a Vision X XMitter Low Profile lightbar to mount where I'd originally planned/wanted to put one. It has 6, 3-watt LED lights and will be a 40* beam. Still debating whether or not to get the next lightbar size up with 9 LEDs instead of the 6 LED model.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Sheet... people will steal anything, anywhere nowadays. I tac-welded my exhaust tip on for crying out loud. :hehe:
You are so right!! I walked outside 2 nights ago, and my neighbors Escalade was on bricks. All 4 wheels and tires gone within 10 minutes. FU&*EN Thieves

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
For some reason, I keep blowing my fuse on my 20" bumper hole lightbar. This is the second fuse I've replaced this week. Think I'm going to rewire the light and use a larger fuse. Thinking #10 wire and a 30 amp fuse.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Finally installed the 12", 9 LED lightbar in the bumper-tailgate gap. Hooked it up so that when I put the truck in reverse, it lights up in addition to the two 2" Solstice Solo lights. Here are some crappy cell phone pictures. Also bought a Roll-n-Lock tonneau at the same time.

·
Real Men of Genius
5,309 Posts
I wanna see some pics of your truck at night! As many lights as you have, you'd probably put every Christmas tree and house to shame! :hehe:

But seriously, I wanna see some "action shots" of your truck all lit up! :thumb:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts