Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just recently my truck has been acting weird when shifting into reverse. only when the motor and trans are up to temp and say after driving home from work. it's 95 auto with 120k with a rebuild at about 80k. when I go to put it in reverse to pull into a parking spot, it hesitates for a second or two then hard shifts into gear. what could this be?

also 1st to 2nd has a hard shift and going into OD it will rev up before engaging (but I can control that with throttle pressure)

·
Registered
583 Posts
I would suggest servicing your transmission .New fluid and filter really does help.While you are at it change the convertor fluid too .BTW Ford recommends doing this at 30 k intervals .:thumb:

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would suggest servicing your transmission .New fluid and filter really does help.While you are at it change the convertor fluid too .BTW Ford recommends doing this at 30 k intervals .:thumb:
how do you change the converter fluid?

·
Registered
583 Posts
and how do you fill it?
Once you have drained transmission ,convertor, replaced trans filter and installed the pan ,fill your tranny with about 6-8 quarts and start the engine ,your convertor will fill at this point . It is best to do this on a level surface .Now add and check fluid until you are satisfied . I think I ended up with 14 quarts in my 4x4 ,2x2 is less . :grd:

·
Registered
145 Posts
I've heard not to, at least going by the posts here on PSO. If you've got nasty particles sitting dormant in the system, a flush can actually exacerbate problems.

When you pick up your filter and fluid, it'd be a good idea to get filter clips- I don't know if they're available at your LAPS (Local Auto Parts Store), but your local $tealership should have them. They ensure the filter stays up snugly against the underside of the trans, because a dropped filter a) can starve the pump, and b) causes no-forward and reverse-stall issues. Bad news all around.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Chop: Thanks for the info about the fluid. I'm in the middle of a drain and filter change, and have twelve quarts at my disposal... may have to take the bike into town to get another gallon!

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
update

did a fluid and filter change, forced the fluid from the TC, and swapped the stock cooler for a larger plate/fin cooler. the fluid that came out was so burnt and dirty. so with all that done the 1st 2nd shift is smoother, the overdrive slip is a lot better, and the hard shift into reverse is a lot better. and another plus is the trans is running about 40* cooler unloaded, running about 150* with 60* ambient.

thanks for all the advice!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts