Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

How many oil additives have you tried? (You may choose more than 1)

• REV-X

Votes: 85 59.9%
  • Hot Shot's Secret

Votes: 37 26.1%
  • ZDDPlus

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Motorkote

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Lucas

Votes: 15 10.6%
  • STP

Votes: 1 0.7%
1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading a lot on the forum about how great REV-X is, so I started looking around online for a comparison test with Hot Shot's Secret since they both claim to cure stiction related issues in the powerstroke injectors.

REV-X is manufactured by Lubrication Specialties, Inc., a company in Grand Rapids, MI with a President & CEO by the name of Dan Wilson.

Hot Shot's Secret is manufactured by Lubrication Specialties, Inc., a company in Mt. Gilead, OH with a President by the name of Chris Gabrelcik.

I see in July 26th, 2010 a thread about Hot Shot's Secret was started by DanTech Offroad called "Hot Shot's Secret Oil additive".

Both products claim to make the stiction problem better, but I don't really know what either product is made of. Both are rather pricey, I'm curious if a good synthetic oil such as Redline or Amsoil would produce the same results. Are there any comparisons for either of these products?

·
Premium Member
31,706 Posts
Rev X has a near 100% success rate as far as curing stiction issues.

Hot Shots secret almost never works.

·
Registered
45 Posts
i will say Ive used both and had absolutely no luck with HSS and cold starts and stiction dissappeared after about 20 miles with REV X.. im no scientist and do not have oil analysis done, but it has worked for me

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Rev X has a near 100% success rate as far as curing stiction issues.

Hot Shots secret almost never works.
Does anyone know what either is made of?? Hot Shot's says on the bottle it's 100% pure additive, but it doesn't say what.

REV-X seems like a thicker additive similar to another diesel product I found called Motorkote.

I guess my concerns are can or could they cause damage to the motor since we don't really know what they're made of.

·
Premium Member
31,706 Posts
Does anyone know what either is made of?? Hot Shot's says on the bottle it's 100% pure additive, but it doesn't say what.

REV-X seems like a thicker additive similar to another diesel product I found called Motorkote.

I guess my concerns are can or could they cause damage to the motor since we don't really know what they're made of.
I can rule out damage with Rev X. Ive put on about 30k since Ive started using it

·
Registered
270 Posts
At least one or two member sent in oil sample that had a few thousand miles with the REV X added. I wonder if the oil testing results are back yet.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
At least one or two member sent in oil sample that had a few thousand miles with the REV X added. I wonder if the oil testing results are back yet.
I would like to see the results too. The Rev-x looks like it coats the internals and the hot shot looks like it's more of a cleaner. Hopefully someone can post any results from their oil test. :thumb:

·
Premium Member
11,966 Posts
My oil is at the labs now waiting for results. It is Amsoil 5w40 with 2 bottles of Rev-X and about 7.5k on it. I'll be posting the results as soon as I get them back.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Subscribed.

Awaiting SVT's analysis.
I am running the same oil.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Stiction is a problem that all these oil injector type fuel delivery systems powerstrokes suffer from. If you go to the the first page of 6.0 forums, and select the Technical info on the 6.0, you can read more detail that other have written. :thumb:

·
Registered
69 Posts
i just ordered fuel and oil additives from rex x, some say we should gain 1 to 2 mpg im skeptical but i hand calculate @ 14.75 and i do have some hiccups on cold mornings i guess we will see if it gets (cured) with the additive, ill keep u all posted

btw one of my trucks is a 06 350 4x4 fx4 lariet with 44k on the clock and i change my oil every 3 k fuel filters every 9k, and never ran an oil additive ever, but i do run diesel kleen fuel additive every tank, also blackstone labs does test my oil every 20k and never had a serious issue with anything, ive also got an 08 250 sd that i cant use because of down time in the shop every two weeks i love 6.0

·
Registered
300 Posts
I have ran both HSS and rev-x, and thats only because HSS did nothing for me. The rev-x cleared up my mild stiction within days. I also bought the package with the fuel additive, nothing special, stick to diesel kleen.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Just a few questions bout rev-x. Do you need to put in every oil change or just when having stiction problems. I never heard of it till this post been off the site for awhile but have used HSS twice and it worked both times for me. Now it didn't work as quick as you guys are saying rev-x did it took about 1500 miles.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I did a little more research and from what I've found the delivery system used by these products is mineral oil based. So it appears the manufacturers supplement the mineral oil with additives & detergents designed to clean the system. Why is it when you buy other chemicals used in the automotive industry they have a break down of what is used such as active compounds or inactive compounds.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
REV-X website describes their products as follows:

What is REV-X ?

REV-X is the replacement for what the oil industry has taken out of modern lubricants.

REV-X improves every characteristic of every brand of oil or lubricant.

REV-X creates a Polar Attraction causing lubricants to be drawn to the source of friction.

REV-X will not change the viscosity of any lubricant.

REV-X is activated by extreme loads and high temperatures.

REV-X increases efficiency in all gasoline and diesel.

REV-X reduces friction.

REV-X reduces heat.

REV-X increases protection.

REV-X formulations are compatible with Engine Oils, Gear Lubes and Hydraulic Fluids.

REV-X is Dyno tested and Real world proven.

REV-X is Your Competitive Edge.

Again, I'm not shooting anything down but there's nothing to describe what their formulation is and what additives are used.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
1,891 Posts
It works.
Just got mine in today. Poured it in, and after about 5 min of idling I took off.
No hesitation, no bucking/stuttering, the trans shifted allot better (power) and it just runs better. No BS, god honest truth. I will be able to verify the cold start tomorrow Am, but from what I saw today I'm very optimistic.

·
PMR = JUNK
11,272 Posts
Id like to see the UOA and what the stuff is made of as well. I just ordered some a few days ago because my truck likes to be a PITA with cold starts.

1 - 20 of 95 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.