Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
2005 F-250 6.0 4WD
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, quick question, can you reuse apr head studs? I’m in the middle of having everything rebuilt and the truck has “apr 2000” head studs currently. Can I reuse them with confidence?
Also, is there a “best” head gasket that’s less likely to blow?

Trucks been through 3 sets of head gaskets prior to my ownership. Engine went to the machine shop and $5,500 later I basically have a 6.1L brand spanking new 6.0L.

· Registered
363 Posts
ARPs in my opinion get better every time you use them, as long as they haven’t been overtorqued / stretched. Back in the day ARP recommended 3 cycles of torque to spec then loosen to polish the rolled threads. i like the feel-pro gaskets with slightly taller fire ring, hope this last time you had the heads o-ringed.

· Registered
06 6.0 drw 635 rwhp (retired) 08 KR build in progress
756 Posts
Clean surfaces is the biggest thing in these scenarios. Also new heads or reconditioned? Some of the new ones aren’t machined the best and may need touched up on the resurfacing mill.

· Premium Member
4,727 Posts
You can reuse ARP studs. They are of a grade where the tensioned value of the studs brings them into a state of ~65% of the yield point. It might be a little higher than that.

Slope Rectangle Font Parallel Triangle

The roll dies that ARP use are good, but one of the attributes of the special ARP Lube is that in comparison to other types of lubricants, the threads don't polish out; the scatter is lower between how often you retighten them. That, however, depends on the product and is shown within ARP's own data.

Slope Font Rectangle Parallel Screenshot

Using the 6.0L stud.

The one Detroit #2 ("Peanut Butter") data point is an outlier and probably bad data. Detroit #2 has good lubricity but is known to allow polishing, so the same amount of 210ft-lbs of torque would take the ARP stud to yield and failure with multiple "polishes".

Thread polishing still occurs with motor oil (10w30) and Moly D reinforced lubricant. APR lube is a very unique product and gets you to a consistent point of Preload, where you would need 6 to 7 re-torques to get to the same point with other lubricants. There are instances with critical fastening where engineers state a fastener to go through that many re-torques to settle out.

Slope Rectangle Line Font Parallel

MLS gaskets need a smoother surface finish and, as Racer pointed out, clean. I, personally, am opposed to the Ford procedure of not milling and leaving staining.

Engineering textbook:

Font Parallel Document Circle Number

Font Material property Parallel Screenshot Document

· Registered
2005 F-250 6.0 4WD
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Clean surfaces is the biggest thing in these scenarios. Also new heads or reconditioned? Some of the new ones aren’t machined the best and may need touched up on the resurfacing mill.
Thanks for all the info guys. One head is new, it’s a proComp and was sent to the machine shop with the block to be double checked. The other head is the original head.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts