Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the vinyl on my center console lid is pretty well wore from close to 250K miles of holding my arm. I decided to pull it off and make a new cover for it.

To take the lid off , open it up and take the hinge pins out . Its not one long pin but rather two that you tap out with a flathead screw driver and small hammer . Start at the center and tap each side out toward the driver and passenger seats.

Technology Electronic device Floor

Technology Electronic device

Use a hair dryer or heat gun to loosen the felt glue and peel it off
Bumper Vehicle door

Red Electronic device Technology Gadget Cable

Use a torx #20 to remove all the screws

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Bumper Automotive exterior Auto part Technology Vehicle

Using a small flathead screwdriver remove all the staples
Wood Wheel Metal

Yellow Bumper Leather

As you can see there is a small part that needs to be sewn to appear as factory
Footwear Joint Shoe Ankle Leg

Im headed to the upholstery shop tomorrow and will sew the cover up and reinstall with more pictures.

I figured id post this due to the many questions I have seen about people asking how to recover it .

·
Yeah it's a Turbo Diesel
4,158 Posts
I want to somehow make mine plastic or Fiberglass so I can Hydrodip it! I hate vinyl!
Wouldn't be too hard, just get some feather fill primer and put a nice cost over the foam, block sand it smooth, wax it a few times then fiberglass a few layers over it. Take 1 he in between layers to prevent heat shrinking. That will be your mold, pop it off the foam plug, then wax up the mold, spray some
Gelcoat and lay it up with 2 layers of 1.5oz mat, there's your part.

It's really easy for a fiberglass shop to make it up for you since they have everything. I used to do fiberglass for users working for my dad.

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
Wouldn't be too hard, just get some feather fill primer and put a nice cost over the foam, block sand it smooth, wax it a few times then fiberglass a few layers over it. Take 1 he in between layers to prevent heat shrinking. That will be your mold, pop it off the foam plug, then wax up the mold, spray some
Gelcoat and lay it up with 2 layers of 1.5oz mat, there's your part.

It's really easy for a fiberglass shop to make it up for you since they have everything. I used to do fiberglass for users working for my dad.
Damn! Easy enough! Sweet, cant wait to do this!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I finished the cover up yesterday , pretty straight forward , here are a couple finished pictures .

I used an arctic grey marine vinyl . I think it came out pretty good for $13 total cost.. Just had to sew a seam where the cover goes around the coin holder , the rest was just stretched and stapled on the underside. No glue needed except to re-install the black felt .

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Vehicle door Car seat cover

Product Vehicle Armrest Car Car seat

Vehicle Car Vehicle door Floor

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.