Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I picked up a Retrax One. From the reviews I did this seemed to be the best one since I could lock it at any length on my truck bed and the drum it retracted into had the lowest space taken up in the truck bed. I went with the poly series and not aluminum because it seemed as though it held up better in the south Texas sun and heat and didn’t fade, scratch or dent as easily either. I had it for a week and love it and even saw an increase in MPG on my road trip to Arkansas. Went through flooding storms with no leaking into the bed too.

After spending a week in Arkansas, I was packing up my truck bed and noticed a crack near the tailgate part of the bed cover. It had some weird staining around it too that looked like some kind of chemical got on it and cause it to breakdown but I never put anything on it. Needless to say it was cracked and now leaking in that spot.

I called retrax the next morning and they already have a new one being shipped under the warranty. I asked if this was common and if I should upgrade to the aluminum one and they assured me it was due to a freak occurrence and these poly series last a long time.

If it cracks again I’ll upgrade to the aluminum. Retrax was great to work with and I really love the bed cover still.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am picking up a 2019 F450 Monday, I hope, and will get a Retrax Pro MX installed on it pronto. I am willing to go for the aluminum cover for a few more $$ so as to be sure it lasts longer. I hope too.

Good luck with yours. It is a very good sign that Retrax is standing behind their product.

Joe

·
Registered
44 Posts
@ethanallen5877 - I have the same Retrax cover and have not had that issue. I've had it on the truck for just about 2 years now with zero issues until July 4th when we got hit with a massive hail storm. Baseball sized hail. It cracked one of the slats on the cover. Unfortunately it was out of warranty, but a dab of black RTV on the underside has sealed it up.

Really like this cover. It's held up to hail, heat, cold and 2' of snow on it (parked at the airport for 2 weeks).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How has the RTV held up with the rolling and unrolling? I was thinking of doing that and giving this broken one to my dad.

·
Administrator
29,127 Posts
my 2 cents = not if but when plastic gets old and cracks
maybe my AZ bitter UV opinion

I bought a used Roll N Lock it was the aluminum but has the vinyl over skin
I was skeptical about the fabric but that cover lasted me years and was still good when i removed it for my slide in camper

if money was no object i would do the full metal jacket power unit

·
Registered
122 Posts
I am picking up a 2019 F450 Monday, I hope, and will get a Retrax Pro MX installed on it pronto. I am willing to go for the aluminum cover for a few more $$ so as to be sure it lasts longer. I hope too.

Good luck with yours. It is a very good sign that Retrax is standing behind their product.

Joe
I plan on getting that same one. Very sharp looking and at $1995 installed I think Im going to let the local Rhino Liner do the work.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts