Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
considering upgrading my 2001 f350 dually to a 2015 or 16 same model
crew cab, duals and 4wd

what i dont know are the options available in these new trucks

any drivers assist features?
other options i should know about

i tend to buy loaded vehicles, if i buy another lariat will that cover all the available options?

thanks for any info

·
Super Moderator
1,534 Posts
The Lariat Ultimate package includes most options one might desire. Here is a photo of my window sticker for my 2015 F350 DRW. I did add a few things such as the 3.73 locker, 5th wheel hitch prep kit, spray in bedliner, dual alternators, supplemental heat and a few other items.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
In terms of driver assist, no you won?t get lane departure warning and adaptive cruise until you get into the 2017 MY?s.

11-16 can get all the creature comforts your wallet can afford though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is all great info guys, thank you

What are thoughts on the 2017 adaptive cruise etc? Are those good systems or do they need more time to "bake"?
2017 is the same 6.7 motor correct? I definitely want to stay with this motor

This will be for towing a 5th wheel so want that package, want the locker in the rear
Not sure about supplemental heat- in az, so will have to research what that is

What is the deal on the dual alternator vs the heavy duty?

Any options you guys got that you cannot live without? Or did not and wish you had added?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Supplemental heat would be hard to find used in arizona, and you probably don't need it. It's an electric heating element so you can have some heat without waiting for the engine to warm up. I have it in Ohio, I don't think I would miss it much. I have a loaded Lariat, and the only thing I would probably skip is the sunroof, because it was $1200 and it's just too loud when it's open, so I never use it. I always liked a sunroof on other vehicles.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
This is all great info guys, thank you

What are thoughts on the 2017 adaptive cruise etc? Are those good systems or do they need more time to "bake"?
2017 is the same 6.7 motor correct? I definitely want to stay with this motor

This will be for towing a 5th wheel so want that package, want the locker in the rear
Not sure about supplemental heat- in az, so will have to research what that is

What is the deal on the dual alternator vs the heavy duty?

Any options you guys got that you cannot live without? Or did not and wish you had added?
Adaptive cruse seems to be fairing well, but it's a feature I wouldn't want -- I hate vehicles doing things on their own

the 17 is the same 6.7 platform with a few reliability upgrades (minor),

dual alts puts out 380 or 400 amps total i dont remember the total (only one alt stays online at any given time unless load senses it needs the second, great failsafe if you ever lose an alt the other will keep you going),

heavy duty alt is a single alternator putting out 200 amps when at speed.

Supplemental heat is basically a space heater built into the hvac box, helps warm the cab when the motor isn't up to temp i.e. you just turned it on and its -100000 outside

·
Super Moderator
8,947 Posts
I would have gotten the Supplemental Heat had I ordered my truck. Additionally the Remote Access alarm system upgrade would have been a great dealer add-on. 2017 orders are closing so if you wait much longer it's going to be a 2018.

Most dealerships can sit down, plug in all your options and search across dealerships for a truck spec'd out to your choices. Good luck!

·
Registered
365 Posts
On my 2015 the standard alt was 157 amp and the HD was 200 amp. Dual just gives you both of them for 357 amps.

HLBeef I didn't realize that it only uses one unless needed. That is good to hear because I got both so that I wouldn't get stranded if one failed.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
HLBeef I didn't realize that it only uses one unless needed. That is good to hear because I got both so that I wouldn't get stranded if one failed.
Yessir, the PCM only commands the primary on 24/7, only the slave alt is commanded on if the PCM senses the load warrants it and / or the primary fails.

Only downside is you won't know you have either failed alt's until the second one fails. The good news is that should be a long, long time down the road.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Only downside is you won't know you have either failed alt's until the second one fails. The good news is that should be a long, long time down the road.
How stupid is that? Why would it not tell you one failed? :banghead:

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
How stupid is that? Why would it not tell you one failed? :banghead:
You'd think, buddy...Ford apparently didn't think that far.

However, the issue is typically few and far between. Two is always better than one...Wish mine came with two for sure. I only have the HD alt, even though it's got plenty of juice for everything I throw at it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all this info

Would really like to wait 1-2 years before buying and get one with 15,000 miles on it or so
But had some other brand car problems this week and thinking seriously about wanting to be under warranty..

Leaning toward a 2017 because i would like to have the adaptive cruise etc

Is the motor going to change in 2018?

I have a lot more research to do on the new diesels
At least it sounds like you dont have to add air bags, exhaust brake and maybe not as many gauges as i am running in the 2001

Will be nice to not have to mod the truck a lot after getting it

1 - 14 of 14 Posts