Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can the IPR valve be replaced without pulling the turbo off of a 2004 6.0L? i just had the HPOP replaced today and the Ford dealer gave me the wrong part in place of the IPR. the truck is back together and running. runs great but I know the IPR will be going out pretty quick. let me know, ill be going back to the dealer on monday to get the right part.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I jsut did it without pulling turbo.

I removed the coolant reservoir, then the FCIM, once that was done, I removed the ground wire and one stud off the back of the intake as it kept "biting" me.

Once that was done, I was able to get a wrench around the nut. I also have the special socket I found on ebay for $30

However, I could have still done it without the special socket. it just would have taken a while with the adjustable wrench I was using...but the socket, one of those pivoting socket ends, an extension and socket wrench took quick care of it.

·
Premium Member
6,293 Posts
There is no way in hell you got an adjustable wrench on the IPR without taking the turbo out... I call BS.
I used an adjustable, turbo out and BARELY had enough room. Maybe with the IPR socket you might be able to squeeze in there.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I'm fairly persistyent in the engine bay, however, when I give up my buddy turns into one of them keebler elves you speak of

·
Registered
11 Posts
Nope, no BS. Like I said, removed the coolant reservoir, FCIM, moved the wiring harness out of the way, and was able to do it.

Now, I still used the special socket since it went much faster. I was only able to get just enough of a bite on the IPR and even then was only able to turn it a small amount, constantly flipping the wrench over. It was a major pain in the butt, but it WAS doable.

I had no trouble whatsoever using the socket. Biggest pita there was getting the insultation off of the IPR to fit the socket over it.

Just did it last night, here was my thread:

http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/6-0-motor-problems/212960-egr-delete-drove-fine-died-no-start.html

Regardless, if you search, there are many people who were able to do it without removing turbo.

1,023 Posts
LOL you dont need to even remove the ficm!

You need the socket for the IPR valve a 3/8ths swivel and 3 inch extension. remove the heat sheild for where the FICM and up pipes come together. Im no keibler elf im pretty stout 5'11 215....

Engine has to be COLD otherwise that O ring will be swelled and make life hell.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts