Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of replacing my dummy plug o-rings and have the vale covers off. I have looked furiously to find a diagram or picture of the o-rings location, and apologize to all of you technicians out there, but Ford wants $1300 to replace the o-rings and I just dont have that. I ordered the orings and will be picking them up tomorrow.

My question is, is the Dummy plug on the top of the rail toward the back of the engine or do I need to remove the rail to get to it?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,682 Posts
Dummy plug is the plug closer to the front of the engine.

I believe they are all 1/2 square, but it may be 10mm hex.

The rear ones are the standpipes.

·
Premium Member
2,584 Posts
Dummy plug is the plug closer to the front of the engine.

I believe they are all 1/2 square, but it may be 10mm hex.

The rear ones are the standpipes.
Late '04 model year and early '05 are 1/2" square drive. Late '05 to '07 model years are 10mm hex.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK - So do I need to remove the HP rail or is it on top? I have included what I see when the valve cover is off with an arrow to what I was thinking was the dummy plug. From what I am hearing, I am wrong, and need to pull the rail, but want you to tell me for sure.

·
Premium Member
1,682 Posts
I can't find a decent picture of it on the web, and I don't have one apart at work right now.

What year is your truck?

If you look at that oil rail on the other side, does that port you have the arrow pointed at have a sensor screwed into it? If that's the case - that's the wrong plug. Near the front 1/3 of the oil rail, there will be either a 10mm hex or 1/2" square drive. MAKE SURE YOU TAKE THE ONE OUT OF THE FRONT or you will need to replace the standpipe seals also.

FWIW, I would buy the dummy plugs, not just the O-rings. Not having much experience at this, it's easy to make an error and cause future leaks.

·
Premium Member
4,448 Posts

You cut it off of your picture. It's located right where my arrow points to. :thumb: I believe they are only available from Ford as the whole plug.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)

2005 6.0 Driver side High Pressure Oil Rail Dummy plug

It is a 05, and from the sounds of it a later 05 since the two plugs are 10mm hex.

Can I assume that the Passenger side is also toward the front, next to the sensor or is it that same plug on both sides - toward the rear on the passenger side?

The parts I ordered were based on previous posts by m-chan68 (-W302195). Not sure if they include the plug or not. Ford charged me $22 a piece for them. I'll find out today when I pick them up.

Thank you all for your help. I really do appreciate it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I wanted to post for any one looking to do this procedure that you can get the D-rings without buying the whole plug assembly from International (I have the part numbers in my truck will post tomorrow) The upper ring is a 19mm one lower is 17mm each from International is around $1.50.($7.50 if you buy them from ford). And the plug assy is $29.00x1 from International. So don't buy into the non-sense of needing the whole plug and save 50 bucks.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Seal part# 1843732C1 and 1843734C1. Hope this helps save some of you money!

·
Premium Member
4,448 Posts
I got a pic of a new standpipe. Note the back-up ring on the bottom of the top section. Oh and it's a 12mm hex. The new dummy plugs look very similar.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts