Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need to replace the ball joints (both sides) on my 2001 4-wheel drive w/150k miles. Thought about doing myself, but didn't have a ball joint press and neither of the local 2 automotive shops (I live in a rural area) rent the tool or do this for you. I really didn't want to go out and buy a press that I may only use one time! Anyway, checked with a local repair shop and they said they'd change all the ball joints with MOOG parts and the cost would be $650. Add another $60 if an alignment is needed. After I figured buying the parts myself and a ball joint press, this $650 sounds pretty reasonable. Your thoughts ... is that the going price?

PS .. I changed the steering box about 2 months ago so when this is done, should drive like new.

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
The $650 sounds awfully low to me. :dunno: Once you add up all the Moog parts (uppers and lowers, correct?), then necessary seals, you're at like $300. If they will be replacing everything, then yeah, it's a good deal.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Thats not to bad of a price, I run a little mechanic shop and I get around $600 to do super duty ball joints. The larger shops around with more overhead charge around $750-$800.

·
Registered
375 Posts
The $650 sounds awfully low to me. :dunno: Once you add up all the Moog parts (uppers and lowers, correct?), then necessary seals, you're at like $300. If they will be replacing everything, then yeah, it's a good deal.
tried watching the video clip of your 5" sewer pipe exhaust but it was prompting me for a password.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all for the response/opinions. Think I will go a head a let the small local shop do the job, I'm just running out of time to do myself plus I don't have the press available.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay, now I've changed the steering box and upper/lower ball joints and had it aligned, but the vehcile still "ducks and dives" when driving. It seems that the center is a hard spot and everytime you move the wheel one way or the other then turns rather fast one way or the other. I've tried loosening the steering box adjustment thinking that it felt too tight, but did not make a difference other than more sloppy so will set it back to the original position. Any ideas to make the truck drive better? This is really noticeable when pulling a trailer as this does make the trailer unstable as you go back and forth between the lines on the road.

2001 F250 XLT 7.3 152kmiles

·
Registered
375 Posts
How do all you tie rod ends look (and feel)? They have a lot to do with your steering as well.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Get a dual stabilizer shock setup from Rough Country or Rancho and check your rod ends and front shocks. Also if your front axle u-joints are bad this will cause exactly what you are describing. Should've done those when you had the ball joints done.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tie rods are okay both sides ... had the wife wiggle the wheel back and forth while I looked and felt ... then are tight. Didn't think about the u-joints so could be the culprit, but don't the u-joints usually make some kind of noise when they start to go bad? Such as when you are turning one way or the other? Some have said that perhaps I just need to drive it a little more to get everything loosened up, but I tend to think it is too stiff and just won't loosen up and drive like it should.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I would start with an alignment then . . . You can check the ball joints very easily to see if they are bad. One hand at 12 O'clock and one at 6 on the tire with it jacked up and see if there is any play. You would see some wear in your tires from them being bad also.

If it were my truck I would put a dual steering stabilizer kit on it from Rough Country since they are under $100 from them and get it aligned.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Quickhorse. I'm just not sure how a steering stabalizer could help my issue? I did check out the Rough Country website, and it sounds like the stabalizers are needed when you have oversized tires. I run stock tires/wheels. I may try the alignment again when I get some time. It was checked after the BJs were changed about 3 weeks ago and not adjustments were needed. Perhaps I need to try an alignment someplace different.

·
Registered
171 Posts
What tires do you have on it? Haber you tried rotating them. I am a Ford diesel tech in the denver area and we see problems with tires and lack of rotation all the time.

Sent from my DROID X2 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The tires are Kumho Road Venture AT LTG265/75R-16. They have about 7000k miles on them. Never thought about rotating them. It may be several weeks before I can get the alignment checked and rotate the tires as I’m in the middle of building a pole barn. Recap on my issue: Seems I’ve had this problem since I bought the pickup with 148k miles … it now has 154k miles. I knew it had slop in the steering when I bought it and it was in the steering box, so after trying several adjustments (which helped some), I changed the steering box. That did take the slop out of the steering, but the pickup still drove choppy (ducking and diving) as I explained in the post on Sept 26. So after finding the BJs lose, changed them as well and still the same problem. Thanks all for some suggestions … although the alignment checked okay when the BJs were changed, I will get it checked again. The tire rods are okay … show no slack. Finally, will rotate the tires … perhaps this was the problem since the tires were new … the belts may be off a little? None of the tires (front and back) show no wear.
Thanks all for your help and good suggestions … if you have other ideas please let me know.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts