Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I hope someone can help a girl out! My 04 6.0 was running rough and I knew I had an injector or two sticking...then one morning it was all of a sudden super sluggish off the line and blowing black smoke until it would reach 30-35 mph. After that it would clear out and run ok. Pulled the codes and got P0405 EGR Sensor A Circuit Low. I took it to a diesel shop here in town that was recommended by some friends and asked about possibly doing an EGR Delete. They told me my problem wasn't the EGR but rather just the injectors. Replaced #'s 5 and 7. When I picked it up they told me is was still "a little sluggish off the line but its fine once it warms up" and I should "look at replacing the remaining injectors soon". Turns out their idea of "a little sluggish" was slightly different than mine, and by the time I got home I was right back to where I was before with the black smoke and sluggish (till it reached about 20 mph this time). Cleaned the EGR sensor. The next morning I made sure it was plenty warm, and it ran decent on the way to work. Called the shop and told them about the day before and they suggested I bring it in and have them look at the turbo. Not sure how I feel about them or their advice at this point...So on my drive home it started a steady stream of black smoke and wouldn't go above 35mph at all, then it stalled at a stop light and wont restart. Current codes are P0405 and P0528. I realize this post is extremely long and drawn out, but I'm lost and would love some help!

Attachments

·
Registered
377 Posts
p0405 usually indicates a stuck or bad egr valve. Consider cleaning and replacing with a egr delete if your emissions is not tested.

p0528 usually indicates a bad fan clutch or the harness to the fan got caught up and cut.

take some pictures of the fan and harness to it if you can..

·
Premium Member
3,572 Posts
It is quite possible the shop checked the injectors on the diagnostic software and the EGR worked fine during that test, or they didn't think to check the EGR valve. As suggested, clean the EGR valve or replace it. at Yes, you can do an EGR cooler delete, knowing that is required for emissions.

Get your own monitor so you know what is going on. It is the best $60-200 you will ever spend on your truck. It could save you $1,000s in repairs.

Do some searching and reading on this site. Most issues have been discussed with very effective diagnosis and fixes.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts