Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright guys got truck 06 350 had only 27psi oil pressure according to scan tool. i replaced the hpop ipr valve rebuilt oil cooler and some other little things like egr delete and manifold block off. got everything back together and it is still no start still doing nothing tore back down to check everything in pump and everything put back together and still nothing. the scan tool no says i have no oil pressure just wanted to see what you guys think

thanks

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Did you replace the STC fitting? Crack the branch tube? Did you replace the standpipes and dummy plugs (they tend to leak)? Most of the 05-07 trucks with low icp have one of the above issues, the pumps are fairly stout compared to the earlier units. Only other thing I can think of is the possibility of the IPR becoming plugged from debris after changing the oil cooler, but I find this unlikely.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
also-pull the oil filter cap-is the cap/filter one piece? Aftermarket caps can cause these trucks to have low/no low pressure oil, thus the hpop doesn't get oil and can't supply the injectors. Remove the oil filter and cap, depress the button in the center and have someone crank the truck. If the bowl fills within 10 seconds, all is ok with the low pressure oil pump. If not, that's where I'd start.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well daz your right i tried that earlier before i got online and there is no oil in filter housing this guy an aftermarket filter with cap so i thought that could be problem so i bought a motorcraft and no change there is no oil coming into resevoir i thought maybe the check valve might be bad but im trying to find the least likley cause i think there is a problem with low pressure pump or is there something else im missing on low side

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
the good news is the lpop is fairly easy to change-it's in the front cover-just remove the fan, shroud, crank pully and balancer. It is keyed to the crankshaft behind the balancer and a small cover. Bad news is since the cover is aluminum if the pump is really galled you may need a new cover. Was the filter housing full when you took the truck apart? What did the underside of the oil cooler look like? was the screen plugged? Did you pull the IPR and replace that screen? I know that at this point it is irrelevant, but it still goes to the condition of the engine.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the ipr was ok but i replaced anyway. the screen inside the valley under cooler acuatlly had a hole in it. and there were some needle bearings inside of cooler im assuming there from lifters other than that i dont know where they would have come from. im going to try to push the anti-drain back valve inside filter housing and see if i can get it to hold oil i put oil in it but it all drain out and i know with this valve close it shoud hold alittle oil yes there was oil inside the housing when i took it apart. but the needle bearings inside cooler scare me possible going there that pump and scaring the cover hopefully not.

thanks for your help

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Don't mean to be critical, but if you found needle bearings inside your engine, shouldn't you determine the source before you try to start the engine?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
needle bearings is probably from lifters or c-clips on injectors it is common to find. ive tried to push the anti-drain valve and there is no spring tension i think that valve is suppose to be flush and be able to push down but this one is already down but still no oil inside housing

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
I agree-once you get a lifter with a flat spot on the roller it is tough to diagnose-you will get random contribution codes, and other intermittant issues. The cam will develop flatspots, and you will destroy the engine. Pull it apart while you may just need a cam and lifters.

·
Premium Member
2,584 Posts
I agree-once you get a lifter with a flat spot on the roller it is tough to diagnose-you will get random contribution codes, and other intermittant issues. The cam will develop flatspots, and you will destroy the engine. Pull it apart while you may just need a cam and lifters.
I don't think you realize just how major of an undertaking this job is.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Pull the engine, pull the rear cover/hpop, remove the crank, replace the cam and lifter. I understand it's a lot of work, but realistically-if he found parts of a lifter in his engine, getting it running shouldn't be his first priority until the cause of the failure is fixed.

That's my thinking.

·
Premium Member
2,584 Posts
SPEAKING of 6.4s how do you feel now that they went from 6.1 to 4.3 for cab R+R?
Please, don't even get me started on THAT one!!!

I guess it's time for me start telling advisors to tell customers if they want their vehicles fixed quicker, they should pay for the repairs themselves up front. These days, I have little to no patience for the cat and mouse games I get put through, when it comes to obtaining prior approval on some repairs.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
alright guys im going to call the customer and let him know that he might have some fail lifters and let him know what we can do thanks guys for your help

1,023 Posts
Please, don't even get me started on THAT one!!!

I guess it's time for me start telling advisors to tell customers if they want their vehicles fixed quicker, they should pay for the repairs themselves up front. These days, I have little to no patience for the cat and mouse games I get put through, when it comes to obtaining prior approval on some repairs.
yeah prior approval if you have a GOOD working internet service provider isnt a big deal, my place the inet sucks. between that and the dipsh!ts on the other end telling me further diagnostics and repair are required when i just told them i shoved a borescope down the cylinder and saw a piston damaged.... I dont get it sometimes...

What needs to happen-Get the business people OUT Of the decision making end of ford motor company, get real or former diesel techs IN there sure it may cut into fords money, but they want it fixed right the first time and not cut our throats and expect us to rush to make a decent if that living then they should take care of us and NOT worry so much about the customer. Without us, they wont have customers just over engineered piles of crap sitting in lube techs bays with them scratching their heads in shock. Pretty soon i see a sick sad future for ford when we all get fed up and leave to go to the independents and make a killing on 6.0s:hehe:

On the discussion boards everyones going NUTS about it. But you know what, if anything were to happen to wake ford up, and pay us fairly instead of us having to submit DRRs and M-Time we would have to grab our pitch forks and torches and head to dearborn. Maybe then we could get their attention. Seems with 6.4s EVERYONE loses money on them. So ford should do a total recall and either repower them or buy them back for fair book value and replace them with discounted prices on 6.7s.

·
Premium Member
2,584 Posts
yeah prior approval if you have a GOOD working internet service provider isnt a big deal, my place the inet sucks. between that and the dipsh!ts on the other end telling me further diagnostics and repair are required when i just told them i shoved a borescope down the cylinder and saw a piston damaged.... I dont get it sometimes...
Damn. I'm glad I'm not the only one in that boat. What kills me is how the guy on the other end of the phone wants me to report the "root cause" of an engine that ran away. Well DUH, how in the f*** am I supposed to do that, when it arives on my doorstep on the hook, with the engine grenaded, the DOC/DPF completely gone and the engine damage done? And I mean I have this engine already stripped down to short block status.

What needs to happen-Get the business people OUT Of the decision making end of ford motor company, get real or former diesel techs IN there sure it may cut into fords money, but they want it fixed right the first time and not cut our throats and expect us to rush to make a decent if that living then they should take care of us and NOT worry so much about the customer. Without us, they wont have customers just over engineered piles of crap sitting in lube techs bays with them scratching their heads in shock. Pretty soon i see a sick sad future for ford when we all get fed up and leave to go to the independents and make a killing on 6.0s:hehe:
That kind of thinking is only living in a fantasy world my friend. But it's happening now already. The apprentices coming out of the woods these days are absolutely clueless (through no fault of their own, of course). And let me tell you, there aren't too many guys filling these vacant positions too quickly either.

On the discussion boards everyones going NUTS about it. But you know what, if anything were to happen to wake ford up, and pay us fairly instead of us having to submit DRRs and M-Time we would have to grab our pitch forks and torches and head to dearborn. Maybe then we could get their attention. Seems with 6.4s EVERYONE loses money on them. So ford should do a total recall and either repower them or buy them back for fair book value and replace them with discounted prices on 6.7s.
Here is a good joke. On our Canadian side, Ford is asking all of us to submit our input on what can/should be done to attract more technicians into the field. I don't even want to imagine the amount of "chewing" that has already been submitted.

1,023 Posts
Damn. I'm glad I'm not the only one in that boat. What kills me is how the guy on the other end of the phone wants me to report the "root cause" of an engine that ran away. Well DUH, how in the f*** am I supposed to do that, when it arives on my doorstep on the hook, with the engine grenaded, the DOC/DPF completely gone and the engine damage done? And I mean I have this engine already stripped down to short block status.

That kind of thinking is only living in a fantasy world my friend. But it's happening now already. The apprentices coming out of the woods these days are absolutely clueless (through no fault of their own, of course). And let me tell you, there aren't too many guys filling these vacant positions too quickly either.

Here is a good joke. On our Canadian side, Ford is asking all of us to submit our input on what can/should be done to attract more technicians into the field. I don't even want to imagine the amount of "chewing" that has already been submitted.
LMFAO! HAHAHA What can we do to attract more techs... Hmm... Well for starters... Id have a 4 page front to back essay How about that Miniconductor heat gun they want us to use on cab bolts? To the tune of 450 ish dollars. I know why they did that, i had a crew cab the carpeting caught afire in when i took the oxy torch to... It didnt catch fully just discolored the carpet and smoked like a b!tch.

Dude between the politics of a dealership, then fords politics, at the end of the week i need beer. haha. im only 23 and allready feel like im 53 going in early staying til 8 9 10 at night to get the remaining 6.4s done... i think the best week ive had so far was 58 hrs in building and 68.9 flat rate with 6.4 warranty only. The week following that was gravy 6.0 injectors, Ficms, turbo cleanings nothing that took over 15 minutes for me to do all CP too! that was the best week ever i only was in the building for 32 hrs and took friday off and hit 70hrs. i love 6.0s hate 6.4s especially when the customer cries enough about a radiator and some how what was a nice CP radiator job became warranty and i lost my skin by over 45 minutes on it... Thats where these aprentice guys would come in handy. If they had confidence in themselves and proper guidance, sure there wouldnt be any diesel issues pay them 10 bucks hourly let them borrow tools and return them for what they dont own id do it. Theyd be my radiator front cover, and serp belt and tensioner/pulley b!tch. Id want what theyd produce on anything of course and if i had the confidence in them to get them into more involved things id start them out diaging a no start or coolant system issue in a 6.0 and have them start EGR coolers, Turbo Cleanings, Injector an FICM replacement then get them into the 6.4 to do Turbos, up pipes, and HPFPs in cab.

IDK if it would be fantasy, you and i and every other tech put their foot down by refusing to wrench these 6.4s by pushing them out the door and shutting it, locking the box and sit on the creeper seat arms folded and do it nation wide state side and up there in canada. Sure the dealership would be the one to suffer but when enough CUDLs go through and it grabs fords attention... or like i said we all band together make a tent city in dearborn on their front yard... Screw the tents i have full access to a 40 ft class A motor home with dual tip outs TVs the works Id do it.

You know the other thing that has me mad, idk if youve seen it yet, 6.7 ambulances with the aftermarket PCM that locks you out from doing anything with IDS. always a failure to communicate and they NEVER put the GD things in the same location... thats really getting me mad and quick. had one behind the glove box another was under the drivers seat another was up in the center of the ambulance tucked behind a cabinet... Then after you fix it and it has a PATS failure.... Really wants me to just go rambo on it :rod: Then submit a DRR and M-Time and get maybe 1/3rd of what i deserve...

End rant. For now....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts