Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased an 07 F250 (104,000 miles) and within a few days of driving it it started overheating. Took it to the dealership and they replaced the EGR Valve claiming to fix the problem. I then took it to a diesel tech to have him look it over to make sure there were no other problems and he said everything checked out. I bought the truck in Texas (where I'm from) and started driving it to PA (where I work) broke down in Kentucky (overheated, white smoke, lack of power, losing coolant). Had it towed to the nearest Ford Service Center and they replace the EGR Valve, EGR Cooler, and Oil Cooler. It has been running great since, however I'm still paranoid that the problems are just looming waiting to get me again. I hear of everyone talking about getting an EGR Delete kit, but I feel obligated to keep mine on since I just spent 2700 getting it all fixed. I know we can't predict the future, but are there any problems I can expect to run into in the near future? Is there anything I can do to prevent further problems without an EGR Delete Kit? I use my truck for work to haul my camper and tools around with me everywhere. Without it I'm out of a job. I love my truck and I just want to make sure I treat it right so it will treat me right. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
11,892 Posts
I recently purchased an 07 F250 (104,000 miles) and within a few days of driving it it started overheating. Took it to the dealership and they replaced the EGR Valve claiming to fix the problem. I then took it to a diesel tech to have him look it over to make sure there were no other problems and he said everything checked out. I bought the truck in Texas (where I'm from) and started driving it to PA (where I work) broke down in Kentucky (overheated, white smoke, lack of power, losing coolant). Had it towed to the nearest Ford Service Center and they replace the EGR Valve, EGR Cooler, and Oil Cooler. It has been running great since, however I'm still paranoid that the problems are just looming waiting to get me again. I hear of everyone talking about getting an EGR Delete kit, but I feel obligated to keep mine on since I just spent 2700 getting it all fixed. I know we can't predict the future, but are there any problems I can expect to run into in the near future? Is there anything I can do to prevent further problems without an EGR Delete Kit? I use my truck for work to haul my camper and tools around with me everywhere. Without it I'm out of a job. I love my truck and I just want to make sure I treat it right so it will treat me right. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Do a complete coolant flush to get rid of the junk Ford Gold coolant and replace it with an ELC coolant with an EC-1 rating. Install a coolant filter to catch any contaminants. Also, I would get something like and Edge Insight to be able to monitor vital engine parameters such as EGT, ECT and EOT. You want the temp difference between ECT and EOT to be less than 15*. Anything over 15* and you have a restricted oil cooler which is what caused your issue to begin with and they get restricted because of the Ford Gold coolant.

·
Registered
41 Posts
An EGR delete kit will make your truck non-street legal in the U. S. (Thank you EPA). Make sure the EPB sensor and tube and MAP sensor and tube are clean and free of soot.

Most important... do not let your 6.0 sit at idle for long periods. This will cause more soot build up, clogged EGR, clogged turbo.

Change the primary and seconday fuel filters religiously. NO EXCEPTION. At least at every other oil change (12,000 mi). Bad fuel or even just a little water in your fuel will kill the injectors fast. Open the water in fuel drain once a month.

Since you will be operating in northern climates make sure to examine the water in fuel separator for paraffin build up from poor fuel. It will fool the water in fuel sensor and let water get to your injectors.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all very much! I will definitely take the advice and hopefully I keep keep it running good.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts