Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All - had a little disaster the other day. Was towing on the highway, and one of my HP Oil lines ruptured, sprayed oil over my motor which quickly caught fire at the turbo. Luckily, I had an extinguisher and put it out. After replacing the HP line (and power washing the engine), my truck runs just fine.
This is a 2003 F250.
Here comes the question. You can see in the picture that the wiring harness got a little heat, and I feel that even though I don't have any issues, I should be considering replacing it. Upon research, I am not 100% sure what to call this wiring harness - is it the main engine harness?
I also could not find much in the way of instructions on how to replace. Does anyone know of any good instructions for this? I am assuming that it is a sizable job to do.
Any info/pointers/advice etc would be really appreciated as I figure exactly what I should be doing here.

Cheers for any assistance.

Rossi

Attachments

·
Administrator
21,471 Posts

·
Vendor
12,761 Posts
Remove that plastic shield from the harness and inspect (its the harness that goes to the hvac stuff, engine harnesses start under the master cylinder and go to the driver valve cover). That shield may have done its job and the wires may all be fine. Doubtful you can get a new one as Ford has been assigning alot of wiring harnesses/pigtails obsolete. Junk yard would be the best place to get a new shield at least.

I would advise to also replace the STC fittings on the hpop lines too. They tend to wear out. Hopefully you bought a Genuine OEM line and not a dorman as the hose ends dont fit well and have a tendency to blow out of the female end.

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the response. I will inspect. Sounds like if there is just one or 2 wires bad, it may be a better plan to splice new ones in.

For the HPOP hoses, the replacement was just OEM hose for now - I needed to get back on the road quickly (within a couple of hours), however, I am thinking to replace with "99-03 Ford 7.3L Powerstroke High Pressure Oil Pump HPOP Hoses Lines Set" from Ebay (sorry, cant submit URL).

This gets rid of the STC fittings entirely, and changes them for threaded fittings as well as uses hydraulic lines with a burst rating around 21,000 PSI.

Thoughts?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,388 Posts
Thanks for the response. I will inspect. Sounds like if there is just one or 2 wires bad, it may be a better plan to splice new ones in.

For the HPOP hoses, the replacement was just OEM hose for now - I needed to get back on the road quickly (within a couple of hours), however, I am thinking to replace with "99-03 Ford 7.3L Powerstroke High Pressure Oil Pump HPOP Hoses Lines Set" from Ebay (sorry, cant submit URL).

This gets rid of the STC fittings entirely, and changes them for threaded fittings as well as uses hydraulic lines with a burst rating around 21,000 PSI.

Thoughts?

I installed 6 of the crude diesel hpop lines so far. The first set has well over 80k Miles now and no signs of them deteriorating. It was cheap and I know the guy. I recommend them.

—————signature—————
~Don’t overthink something simple~
...:uptight people suck:...

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Awesome! Always scary thinking I may be the first. Much appreciated. I will proceed with these.

·
Premium Member
5,731 Posts
I think that the shield is an active part - F81Z-14A099-CA. I replaced the goofy shaped one on my 6.0 with a 7.3. Looks much nicer and - so far (3 yrs) - the slightly closer proximity hasn't made a difference on the wiring.

...and yes to splicing. You could even splice in high temp wire.

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Brilliant - thanks. I was just trawling through info looking for that, and you beat me to it :)

Cheers

·
Vendor
12,761 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,731 Posts
I'm going to second not going cheap on lines.

I can appreciate the first person recommendation for anything, certainly. It's very often that we don't get that. ...but failures are not about overall quality. Most often, it is about the repeatability/consistency of the materials and some isolated quality defects in those materials. So - while one person may get a million miles - the next person gets six. My time is worth more than the experimentation allows.

·
Vendor
1,064 Posts
I think that the shield is an active part - F81Z-14A099-CA. I replaced the goofy shaped one on my 6.0 with a 7.3. Looks much nicer and - so far (3 yrs) - the slightly closer proximity hasn't made a difference on the wiring.

...and yes to splicing. You could even splice in high temp wire.
Yes, that's the one I was going to mention!

The harness for the engine may still be available- we'd just need a VIN to double check. But if it's just a couple of wires, I'd personally try the repair method first.

·
Premium Member
7,644 Posts

Thoughts?
Don't buy the Chinese lines. See post below, Corey's lines are top quality and he won't try to oversell you. Great source

Dont get the cheap ones on ebay, they are NOT meant for your truck. I used to make out hpop lines out of that hose, and I stopped for good reason ;). The lines I make are the stainless braided ones on eBay. Or you can get them here.

https://www.cncfab.us/product-category/cncfab-products/

Here is a nice read on on hydraulic hose and application. https://www.fluidpowerworld.com/how-to-select-the-right-hydraulic-hose-for-your-application/
^^^ This X2

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dont get the cheap ones on ebay, they are NOT meant for your truck. I used to make out hpop lines out of that hose, and I stopped for good reason ;). The lines I make are the stainless braided ones on eBay. Or you can get them here.

Thanks - just ordered from cncfab. Much appreciated!

·
Premium Member
2,388 Posts
Don't buy the Chinese lines. See post below, Corey's lines are top quality and he won't try to oversell you. Great source

^^^ This X2

They are not made in China. Made in Florida.

—————signature—————

·
Premium Member
7,644 Posts
They are not made in China. Made in Florida.

—————signature—————
Oh well, Corey's are made in Ohio. Plus he's a sponsor and I trust him.

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
FYI, you'll have long cranks after the install for a few days until you get all the air out of the system.
Interesting. When I was back on the road after my little incident, I drove 1000 miles over the course of the next day. When I got home, I was misfiring but only in the mornings and only for around 10 minutes. After 3 days or so, it cleared up. I was really concerned, but do you think that this is indicative of air in the system, even though it was driven for 1000 miles after the lines were changed?

·
Vendor
12,761 Posts
Interesting. When I was back on the road after my little incident, I drove 1000 miles over the course of the next day. When I got home, I was misfiring but only in the mornings and only for around 10 minutes. After 3 days or so, it cleared up. I was really concerned, but do you think that this is indicative of air in the system, even though it was driven for 1000 miles after the lines were changed?
Well, rarely do most people immediately drive 1000 miles right after a hpop issue/part replacement. Lol. It normally takes 50-100 miles to work out the air.

Your misfires in particular are more than likely due to worn out injectors since it's only happening in the morning, and engine oil is not up to temp.

www.cncfab.us

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, rarely do most people immediately drive 1000 miles right after a hpop issue/part replacement. Lol. It normally takes 50-100 miles to work out the air.

Your misfires in particular are more than likely due to worn out injectors since it's only happening in the morning, and engine oil is not up to temp.
Yeah - Weird thing is that it has not happened before or since. I will see what happens when we start getting the colder weather. Appreciate the advice!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts