Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there , I’m new to this forums and don’t have much knowledge with diesels. I live in Washington state and got a quote for a few repairs on some leaks my truck has and to replace the sway bar. I’ve spoken to a few people and they have advised me to go somewhere else. My main issue is I feel as if I’m being way over charged for parts. As far as labor I don’t see much of an issue with that pricing. I’m not looking for cheap work but I don’t want to get ripped off either. What do you guys think about this quotes. thanks in advance! 2F84A069-8A90-49F4-9991-6E1EAF9FAEE5.jpeg D8520E63-E2E2-4628-B414-E6DD344C3470.jpeg

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Wow. That's some mark-up on those parts. One example is the oil line kit for the turbo is a $5 to $10 kit and takes 5 minutes to install.
What shop is this?
Also, that work is pretty easy. Can you do it yourself or have someone help you?

Sent from my Redmi Note 9 Pro using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow. That's some mark-up on those parts. One example is the oil line kit for the turbo is a $5 to $10 kit and takes 5 minutes to install.
What shop is this?
Also, that work is pretty easy. Can you do it yourself or have someone help you?

Yes I suppose I could give it a shot and do it myself . Also do you think the labor pricing is a bit much too? Or do you think any service repair on there is even fair to continue you with?

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Yes I suppose I could give it a shot and do it myself . Also do you think the labor pricing is a bit much too? Or do you think any service repair on there is even fair to continue you with?
Naw, that place is ripping you off, just avoid them.... Where is this shop located (city/town)?

The $200 in atf? That is some serious mark up. Wow.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
I think that's the only thing close to realistic cost, our atf is $$.

·
Premium Member
1,529 Posts
Yeah, they are buying a full price then selling with a good markup. A shop will never pay full price.

Doing it yourself depends on your abilities. The pinion seal might be tough if you've not done them.

Screen Shot 2021-02-22 at 10.55.26 PM.png Screen Shot 2021-02-22 at 10.53.28 PM.png Screen Shot 2021-02-11 at 5.28.01 PM.png Screen Shot 2021-02-22 at 10.52.39 PM.png Screen Shot 2021-02-22 at 11.06.40 PM.png Screen Shot 2021-02-22 at 10.56.23 PM.png Screen Shot 2021-02-22 at 11.05.58 PM.png Screen Shot 2021-02-22 at 11.05.25 PM.png

·
Registered
77 Posts
I did my temp sensor, filter and syn ATF for 160 last summer when my sensor went bad. Maybe I'm wrong, but that is how I remember it.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
I did my temp sensor, filter and syn ATF for 160 past summer when my sensor went bad.
What atf did you use? 5 gallons of atf is ~$125 alone. I have an oversized pan, so I hold 7 gallons .

·
Registered
77 Posts
What atf did you use? 5 gallons of atf is ~$125 alone. I have an oversized pan, so I hold 7 gallons .

I would have to go check. I still have the left over in the tool box.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Another thing to note, unless your trans pan is leaking, the gasket is reusable And you don't need to replace the internal "filter" it's just a pick up tube with a screen. Just the external filter gets changed (unless you go with an 08+ Transmission pan).
Anyhow, I'm in Washington and can help you with this stuff, depending on location.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Another thing to note, unless your trans pan is leaking, the gasket is reusable And you don't need to replace the internal "filter" it's just a pick up tube with a screen. Just the external filter gets changed (unless you go with an 08+ Transmission pan).
Anyhow, I'm in Washington and can help you with this stuff, depending on location.

Terry’s automotive in Olympia WA , where are you located ?

·
Premium Member
2,410 Posts
You are about 1-1/2 hours away from a very trusted shop that specializes in 6.0 diesels. I wish I was that close. It would be worthwhile to call Toren at Ranaway diesel in Duvall. He will do you right. And since he specializes in Powerstrokes, he will notice anything obvious that needs to be addressed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: jokester00

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
You are about 1-1/2 hours away from a very trusted shop that specializes in 6.0 diesels. I wish I was that close. It would be worthwhile to call Toren at Ranaway diesel in Duvall. He will do you right. And since he specializes in Powerstrokes, he will notice anything obvious that needs to be addressed.

Farther than an hour and a half, but either way.

Terry’s automotive in Olympia WA , where are you located ?
I'm in buckley. I drive down there almost daily (for work).
It wouldn't be a problem to come down and help you out.

·
Premium Member
2,410 Posts
Farther than an hour and a half, but either way.

I was just going from Google maps. It said 1hr, 26 minutes from Olympia to Toren’s shop. Maybe in summer time, huh?

Reactions: jokester00

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
I was just going from Google maps. It said 1hr, 26 minutes from Olympia to Toren’s shop. Maybe in summer time, huh?

Never , it's probably close to 100 miles and our traffic sucks. But, yeah,should be 1 1/2 hrs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Never , it's probably close to 100 miles and our traffic sucks. But, yeah,should be 1 1/2 hrs.

Sure thing and thanks for your time man. Is there anyway I can contact you easier ? I’m going tomorrow to the repair shop and I’m going to go have a talk with those people. I don’t mind paying for repairs and I’m not looking for cheap mechanics but what I am looking for is to not get charged 5x the normal price for the parts lol

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
I'll message you my #.
In all reality, we can probably do that whole list in a day, except the rear seal, I've never done one of those before.

Sure thing and thanks for your time man. Is there anyway I can contact you easier ? I’m going tomorrow to the repair shop and I’m going to go have a talk with those people. I don’t mind paying for repairs and I’m not looking for cheap mechanics but what I am looking for is to not get charged 5x the normal price for the parts lol
Sent you a pm

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

thanks ill take a look!

·
Premium Member
1,529 Posts
Did you already give them a $1000 deposit, which would have been the parts?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Did you already give them a $1000 deposit, which would have been the parts?
Yes but early this morning I went to the mechanic shop and pulled my truck out. As well as full refund of my $1,000 deposit. Im sure they knew once I walked in why I was coming back so they didn't give me any hassle. Gave me the refund and my keys and out the door I went. I appreciate all the input and feedback I was received from everyone. Saved me from potentially being robbed for hundreds of dollars. I went to 2 other diesel shops about 30 minutes north and another one 45 mins south of where I live and all the parts matched what you listed for me previously + or - 10 dollars or so which is nothing. For the same repairs I got quoted for $1500 labor and parts included at both of the other places way more reasonable.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts