Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I watched the youtube videos, read the writeups, etc, I know it's an easy job, but honestly, I don't have the time with a 4 month old, nor the tools to do it at home/friends garages.

So with that said, anyone give me a rough estimate what I would be paying for a rear pinion seal?

My 2010 F250 has 2 inch larger blocks in the rear, and a leveling kit, but the blocks are tapered to keep normal angle, so I think it's just the fact of mileage and towing, as I don't have any wheel hop or anything else.

I would prefer not to use my Ford shop as I don't want any issues with my DPF, EGR deletes. I have several local mechanics, but want to get an idea before I decide if I would be best to make the 1.5 hour drive each way, and ask my friend to use his shop on a weekend and ask him to come into work to help.

Thanks.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Not so easy trust me. Normally a pinion seal will run you 2-300$ at a reputable diff shop. When you tighten the yoke nut it has to be PERFECT, if not it can get very expensive ( ask my neighbor he will tell ya. Most of the cost I associated with new fluids and seals as well ( you don't have to replace the fluids but most shops will recommend it) good luck!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Good to know it's not as easy as it looks, and yeah, I was definitely concerned about the yoke nut.

So would you recommend me looking more into a diff shop specifically? I am not even sure we have those around me lol. We have a diesel shop that builds anything from normal trucks to semis, true pullers, etc.

Edit:Guess we do have diff shops, 150 for just the seal and labor. If it's a bearing said more obviously, but they would check first before doing anything more. 1 day project so that's good too.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts