Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I've tried everything and either I'm more clueless than I thought, or something's missing.

Having 20" wheels means that the OEM spare isn't going to fit right, so I was planning on taking the new tire off the spare and mounting a bigger tire on the wheel. So far, so good, right?

Pop the hood, get the tire tools and go to unscrew the spare from under the bed and....WTH? It looks like some kind of Torx deal inside and I don't have anything that looks like it. The two rods are either square on the end or has a little J-type end, but the J won't fit into the torx thing...so what did I miss? :dunno:

·
O.I.F. Combat Vet 11B
1,048 Posts
you have to have the key, mine was in the glovebox when I bought my truck.. I have the key with no jack stand or the rods...........

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:doh: that sux to have to have a key for the spare removal...I bet half the trucks don't have it anymore because people don't know what they are and toss them.

What can we use to McGuyver the fix?

·
Let's go B's!!!!
6,020 Posts
I got your solution, let me see if I can find my old thread with pics, so I don't have to re-type it all lol

brb

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
F%$^&*#$ -n-A locks like they use on wheels...on a spare?

Southpaw, how do I get the thing off unless I go to the stealer? Can it be punched out...like I'd like to do to some Ford engineers?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Break the little plastic winch thing from the bed and it will come down!!! I didnt do but it would work if you dont have that stupid key..

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK, I have to ask WHAT plastic winch thing are we talking about? How do I reach it?...where is it located?

·
Registered
466 Posts
When I purchased my truck, the spare tire was in the bed and I was told the spare tire carrier was broken and didn't work... so I messed with it (as you did, before I found the key in the glovebox) and said "F-It, I'll carry my spare in the bed". Boy did I feel stupid when I found that key, and realized what it was for - sure as hell, it did work, the dealership I bought it from just wasn't very bright. Of course with all the other projects I've had the past few days I have yet to put it back on and put my spare in the correct spot.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Last thing I want is a flat when I'm on the road with a lifted truck with great wheels...except for the spare!

Worse, what we're talking about today is that I couldn't get the dam spare off anyway unless I have some key...

Does the stealer know the key code or size from the VIN?

I bet a LOT of us with bigger wheels are about to find out how important this is...........

·
Registered
475 Posts
The stealership should have a master kit, I think theres like 10 keys? or so and they just try each one till you get the right one, and then order it. I think it cost me like $40..

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
The stealer is too far away and they don't do anything fast...I'd have to leave the truck, so I went to Plan B. Get the wheel off and fix the keyway the old fashioned way
1. let all the air out of the spare tire (so you can jack the wheel up higher)
2. cut 3/4" off one end of the bracket that holds the spare
3. floor jack, 4x4 wood about 24" long, with two spacers about 10" long
4. position jack under the spare, with the two spacers on each side of the rim
5. jack up the wheel until you have enough working room to remove the bracket
6. with wheel out of there, remove the two 1/2" bolts holding the housing to the frame
7. remove the plastic tube from the housing and work it out of the frame
8. screwdriver to get the key out of the slot
9. put it all back together and have a beer...about 15 minutes worth of time

The hub opening on the wheel is 5", and the bracket is still a good bit wider. If you want you can weld the piece back on once you get the key out of there.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
My key is no where to be found :(

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Once I got the spare out of the bracket I thought I could trade a brand new tire for a 31" take-off....wrong!

After 10 years of riding under the bed, the tire was shot; full of cracks. Anybody with a truck going on 10 years old ought to check their spare if it's an original. Doubt that the spare would have lasted any time at all if I'd had to change it out.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts