Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
99' F250 7.3 PS

Hello group.

Bought a fuel filter to replace my old one which wasn't changed by the last lube place I went to.

Unfortunately, someone WAY over tightened the filter cap. The center is somewhat stripped, though I can still get a little bit of grip with my 1/2" ratchet. Just not enough to loosen the cap without the ratchet slipping. Several of the re-enforcing webs are broken off as well.

My new filter has the cap attached , so my only issue is how best to get the overtightened one off.

If any of you have had to deal with this, any suggestions you can offer would be most appreciated.

thanks,
-art

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
I don't know if you have tried this, but try dropping a wrench down across the top of the filter, then have it bear against those plastic pieces and it would extend past the edges of the filter. This all depends if your cap is like mine... I have seen a few different ones. Then grab the overhanging sides and rotate it off... if that makes any sense...:hehe:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know if you have tried this, but try dropping a wrench down across the top of the filter, then have it bear against those plastic pieces and it would extend past the edges of the filter. This all depends if your cap is like mine... I have seen a few different ones. Then grab the overhanging sides and rotate it off... if that makes any sense...:hehe:
Thanks for the reply Layson.

Yeah, I tried something similar earlier and ended up cracking one of the webs. It already had three broken webs so I guess others have tried same thing before me. Makes me wonder if my filter has even been serviced these past few lube jobs.

Its so tight I'm starting to think they may have damaged the threads.

regards,
-art

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
big pair of chanel locks

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
Thanks for the reply Layson.

Yeah, I tried something similar earlier and ended up cracking one of the webs. It already had three broken webs so I guess others have tried same thing before me. Makes me wonder if my filter has even been serviced these past few lube jobs.

Its so tight I'm starting to think they may have damaged the threads.

regards,
-art
I would keep trying... Stick a large wrench in there and tap the end with a hammer... It will come out.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Chisel and hammer, air chisel is how I had to get mine off. Upgraded to billet caps.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey, many thanks to you guys.

I didn't have appropriate channel lock or strap wrench so went right to hammer and chisel. Took about 5 mins to get it off. So filter is all changed now.

regards,
-art

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
I use my oil filter wrench to remove mine. And FWIW, it comes off much easier sometimes if you drain the bowl first.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I use my oil filter wrench to remove mine. And FWIW, it comes off much easier sometimes if you drain the bowl first.
:ditto:I've used a band-type filter wrench around the outside of mine, that worked pretty good.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had the same problem this month. I took my oil filter pliers and cut off approx 1" of the plastic covering the grips. I stuck them in the webs and pushing down VERY hard and using a very large screwdriver stuck thru the pliers, was able to break it free.

·
Other vehicle is an F250
18,320 Posts

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
Hey, many thanks to you guys.

I didn't have appropriate channel lock or strap wrench so went right to hammer and chisel. Took about 5 mins to get it off. So filter is all changed now.

regards,
-art
well thats good. its always satisfying when you complete the job:thumb:

·
Powerstroke Junkie
8,308 Posts
Hank hit the nail on the head, use the handles of a pair of channel locks into the pie cutouts, then you can take a screwdriver cross'd through the handles and turn. I have also used a rubber strap wrench with no problems. Make sure you save your old cap, or in your case I would get a new one, because if you ever get stranded by gel'd fuel or clogged fuel filter your luck may be like mine and the only filter you can find is one without the cap!!!

NCH

·
Registered
3 Posts
More help needed

I know this is an old post, however I have tried al of the tips.
Has anyone had to completely cut off the whole filter lid? Or brea kit off in pieces?
It is a newer Wix all in one filter and the socket top nut had broken off.
I have tried oil filter grips and hammer/chisel.
Was thinking I could drill multiple holes across the top while vacuuming the bits away. Nervous about getting bits in the filter housing.
Thoughts? :confused:

·
Powerstroke Junkie
8,308 Posts
Get a strap wrench from Lowes. No need to destroy anything. The new filter will come with a new lid. If you live near me contact me and I will swap it out for you.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts