Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For anybody who is like me and bought a 03-04 IC or intake manifold and relized after they bought it that a 05-07 kit would have replaced the butterfly valve and give you better flow. But didn't want to buy an 05-07 intake manifold because they had a perfectly good 03-04 elbow, but can't stand the thought of something in there restricting air. Take the the butterfly valve out and now It is the same difference and it didn't cost but a couple dollars. I did this yesterday and it was a very easy job. Take your intake elbow off and then take your valve body off w/ three #5 metric allen heads. Now first close the valve w/ your hand and you can use a torqes bit to take out the two screws that hold the flapper to the rod, once you do that the flapper will slide right out. You could probably stop there if you wanted to and just have the rod there, but I wanted no restrictions at all. then there is a cover on each side with those tamper proof torques bits. I was able to get one side out w vise grips.(the smaller cover) then on the other side I used a die grinder to the heads and then took the bolts out with vise grips. Now on the big cover side you can take out a small gear. than flip it over to the small cover side and hit the rod with a hammer and it will all come out the big side. Then there is two bearings in each hole you have to knock out. Now you have a clear path but with two holes in the side that need to be plugged where the rod went through. This is what cost me a couple of dollars because I don't have a tig welder. Get two little pieces of 3/4 alluminum round stock and weld it in the holes where the bearings were. Once this is done put your covers back on install it back on the truck the way you took it out plugg the two wire harnesses in and you have a clear path to your heads with no codes thrown and with little money.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts