Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Weather permitting I will be installing a Remote start this weekend, I am open to any tips yall might have. I will try to take a bunch of pictures and do a write up too

·
Desert Shield/Storm Vet
9,092 Posts
Patience thats about all the advice I can give cause its a major pita and I will gladly pay to have it installed the next go around:thumb:

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Yeah, pics please. My parts truck has one in it, and I want to swap it over to my ex. SO your headache will save me a bit of a headache. :)

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
You can, but it's a major pain. You have to rig a switch to sense when it's in neutral (I used a microswitch with a roller and fabbed a bracket.) and rig a relay to temporarily bypass the clutch safety interlock. I did it on my Acura years ago but never messed with a super duty. I'm sure it's possible, but you have to make absolutely sure you do it right because if it starts in gear, you could be in for a BAD day.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
They do make remote starts for manual transmissions

I had one put in one of my other vehicles. Before you shut the truck down you must set the parking brake. The alarm system will detect if the brake is on and will then start. If brake is off, it will not start.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
GL, there is alot to it.

Weather permitting I will be installing a Remote start this weekend, I am open to any tips yall might have. I will try to take a bunch of pictures and do a write up too
GL, there is alot to it, I would leave it to the pro's. My buddy is a tech at a local shop so I got the hook up on those types of things. But they are a major pain to install if you do not know what you are doing!

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I wouldn't do it with just the parking brake as a safety. If it managed to start, there's no stopping a diesel with just the parking brake. It's no telling how far the truck could creep in low gear. You could end up having the truck go all the way through your house. LOL

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
I wouldn't do it with just the parking brake as a safety. If it managed to start, there's no stopping a diesel with just the parking brake. It's no telling how far the truck could creep in low gear. You could end up having the truck go all the way through your house. LOL
very true, the parking brake prolly wouldnt stop it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
There are remote starters made specifically for manual trans. They detect park brake and interior light/door pin switches.

·
Registered
70 Posts
thanks guys. i leave my truck in 3rd because it dosent hold any spring tenstion in the tranny, i dont think id use it that offen i am to used to leaving it in gear and setting the brake. haha

·
Premium Member
4,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I didnt get to install it this weekend, I had to haul a couple Clydesdale's to Texas, Hopefully I will get to this weekend

1 - 13 of 13 Posts