Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know many folks that run on a normal schedule use timers to turn on/ off their power to the block heater on their trucks. Some of us have weird schedules and do not always leave at the same time of day. That is my dilemma. I am looking for something that I can use to turn the power on and then shut off after a preset amount of time. I think I have found one, but would like to know what others have done. I would like to be able to hit the button when I get up to take the dog out then have time to eat, shower and all that while the truck heats. If it is in the 20's I figure 90-120 minutes should do the trick. I know I don't need to heat if it is only 20°f but I want to get to operating temp quicker since my drive is a short one.
If I am reading the product description correctly, this one in the link will turn on by the remote and can be set to stay energized for 2-8 hours.

TNOLED02- 2-Outlet Countdown Timer with Photocell Activation - Prime Wire and Cable

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
You can get these also at pond supply places. They are used to turn pumps on and off.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You can get these also at pond supply places. They are used to turn pumps on and off.
Maybe I'll check with the local garden center. They have all the Koi pond stuff. Ipodidn't see a remote control for ponds that would turn off after a certain time elapsed. Remote on/ off or run from dark for 6 hours there are. A pond timer may be more suitable for use if I can find one. They are probably better built to withstand cold and wet.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Tractor Supply may have something that will work as well.

Tom

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, picked up this one. I splurged and got the Amazon 3 year warranty for $1.43. After giving it a go, I'll let everyone know how well it works....or doesnt. Lol.

·
Premium Member
2,064 Posts
Maybe I am reading it wrong, but it sounds like it turns itself on at dusk. And how many watts will it switch?

Reactions: Hydro

·
Premium Member
3,730 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,064 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,730 Posts
That sounds more like it and its rated for 1,000W Resistive. I think I recall reading somewhere, our block heaters are 1000 watts. So, I wonder how long it would last at full load?
With a little extra wiring and using a contactor, the remote could switch as many amps as you want, just be aware that most extension cord plugs are 15 amp max

·
Premium Member
2,064 Posts
I am a journeyman wireman, so I would install a timeclock and a contactor if I was doing it. But it sounds like the OP was looking for something a little simpler.

I drive a company van, so my personal truck only gets drove on weekends. I just plug it in the night before.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hmm... Link didn't post. This is the one I bought:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B079L1RSF7/ref=psdcmw_6291368011_t2_B07CXRRKTQ
Granted, it isn't terribly difficult to build a remote timer that will do what I want. Time consuming, yes. I thought about using a little IDEC series RJ relay along with a Tridium Jace to program on/ off times and time delay to off. Heck, I could throw on a temperature sensor to control by ambient temp to. This will likely do the trick if it is reliable enough though. All I really need is to be able to energize it and have it stay on for an adjustable time period.
This one is rated for 1200 watts so it should handle the 1000 watt heater well enough.

Reactions: partyman97_3

·
Premium Member
3,730 Posts
Could just run out and plug it in when you let the dog out, the cold will wake you up and you will be ready to greet the new day,

Reactions: partyman97_3

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Could just run out and plug it in when you let the dog out, the cold will wake you up and you will be ready to greet the new day,
What's the fun in that? Lol.
Thing is, I dont have a set schedule. When I did leave first thing in the AM every day it would be easy as that. Now it is all over the place.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I had the time to play around with it yesterday before family started arriving. The app is easy to install and set up. It only wants location permission for time and time zone info. Not like most apps that want to be able to control your mic and camera even though they do not need to. Schedules and rules are a cinch to set. The rule I created was to turn the outlet #1 off 3 hours after it is turned on. It took me a secont to realize I had to apply the rule to every day for it to work. Otherwise it works only on the day you set it up (only on Tuesdays). You can build on rules, so I could turn on #1 every day at 3am and it would then turn off 3 hours later. I have not gone so far as to try integrating it to Google Assistant yet. As it is I open the app and turn on outlet 1. So, two phone taps and it turns on for 3 hours.
Bottom line: Perfect for what I need.
If it fails then I'll use the protection plan and get another one. Then I will dissect the unit and see what I need to do in order to install higher rated contacts. As long as the electronics work I'll be set.

·
Administrator
29,483 Posts
when it fails and if it actually does not burn down the house and truck then I'll use the protection plan and give it another chance . .
Fixed it for ya :nerd:

it does look like a nice device keep us posted

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
LOL.
Hopefully it does not come to that. Although the thought did come to mind. The only saving hrace is that I dont cut corners on insurance.
I'll definitely report back with any problems. If my place burns to the ground I'll post pictures too!

Reactions: ZMANN

·
Registered
8,620 Posts
Very interesting items. Keep us updated on the wifi one. I didn't know they even made those and it sounds perfect for me too. I have a mostly set schedule but not concrete.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Good to know your house hasn't burned down. Lol.
The more I think about it, the more I like it. I don't have to be home to turn it on. If I am on the way home from somewhere, I can turn it on.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ok am I missing something here? At night I just plug mine into an extension cord running out from the garage. Been doing that for years without an issue...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts