Votes: 2 28.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Anti-Hashtag Member
2,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I have left the good ole USAF, I have found myself having more gun conversations then I could imagine. (not on purpose, just kind of walked into them). Any way, a common thing I run across is the amount of people who honestly believe that 1911's are unreliable. Now, I have put my fair share of rounds through my 1911's and have friends and family that shoot them in competition. Unreliable is the last word I would use to describe a quality 1911(There are over 50 manufacturers of this platform, and I do know some of them might as well be boat anchors). So I was curious as to what my truck brethren thought. I know this group has LEOs, military, civilians, IT guys, and even a couple Prius owners.....so I figured this would be a good place to go.

·
It is What IT is
1,734 Posts
Kimbers, Colts and S&W!

I believe that certain ammo and lack of a polished feed ramp is the culprit in the ones that have issues. Sometimes the spring in the mag doesn't have enough "spring"...

·
Anti-Hashtag Member
2,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kimbers, Colts and S&W!

I believe that certain ammo and lack of a polished feed ramp is the culprit in the ones that have issues. Sometimes the spring in the mag doesn't have enough "spring"...
There is one thing....I have never polished my feed ramps and have no issues.

·
It is What IT is
1,734 Posts
There is one thing....I have never polished my feed ramps and have no issues.
I can believe that. What I'm saying is for THOSE who ARE having issues, that's usually the culprit. Very seldom do you have to polish the ramp on Colts Kimbers or S&W. You get what you pay for.

There are numerous other 1911 platforms out there that are really good too. without doing anything to them.

I love the Kimbers because they are beautiful pieces, but they are $$$!

·
Anti-Hashtag Member
2,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ive never been impressed with full size Kimbers.....IDK why. I like my Colt, and it is by far my high dollard(over 3k in it), but my Para is my favorite to shoot.....I miss para.....FU REMINGTON!!!!!! RUINED ANOTHER GOOD GUN!

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
I have a plain jane springfield mil spec less then $900 a few years ago. it came with:
lower/falred ejection port, arched mainspring housing, beveled mag well, longer rear tail, and something with the barrel not sure. but all ive done is oil it up every now and then and its never jammed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I own a sig 1911 in 40sw. It is very reliable but it does need to be oiled.I am much more accurate with it than my glock21 or my M&P performance center 9mm with all the bells and whistles/

·
Premium Member
7,744 Posts
I carry a Kimber SS Pro Carry and I also have a Kimber Eclipse, both are very reliable and accurate. My boy has a Kimber and a Ruger and his are great too. I believe most reliability issues with the 1911 or any autoloader are magazine related.

·
6.2 Convert
1,385 Posts
I never had any issues with the Colt I had 30 years ago. I'm a Sig guy now but seems like whenever I hear someone griping about their 1911 at the range it turns out to be a damn Norinco!

·
Registered
241 Posts
sig emporer scorpion here. ZERO problems. Also believe those that have issues is the cheap mags.

For anyone that doesn't love a 1911, in my opinion is its capacity for such a large gun.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have carried 1911's for over 50 years, got my first Colt lw Commander when I was 16. I have carried Colts (custom by Jim Hoag) Kimbers, STI, and Ruger. Shot a number of Les Baers, and Wilsons. Not a hiccup once broken in. Carried department S&W, Sig, and Glocks, currently sitting here wearing a Glock 19x, because I just sent a Kimber Custom Carry to have a Commander length slide and 10mm barrel fitted. Shot my Kimber Camp Guard 10mm in Gunsites Alumni Shoot this past October. Many years ago Jeff Cooper opined that the ideal defensive pistol caliber was .40 or larger, moving a 200 grain bullet at 1000 + fps. I use Underwood 200 gr. at 1250 fps, not much can stand up to that. Col. Cooper was partial to 1911's, nuff said!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,746 Posts
My Springfield Champion has jammed once (chipped extractor) and stove piped twice in 20 plus years of use
I wouldn't think twice about taking it into the back country
Of course I've polished every place that metal touches metal and reworked the complete trigger assembly so the hammer drops at a crisp 3 pounds

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: SparkyF250

·
Premium Member
7,744 Posts
Kimber Pro Carry and an Eclipse, both run like sewing machines. Trying out a mini 1911 in the Kimber Micro 9, yeah it's not a 45 but for summer clothes it hides under a T shirt just fine.

·
Registered
192 Posts
If you like a 1911 in compact form check out the Sig 938. Mine has been flawless through 500 rounds and pretty accurate for a 3” barrel. It’s 9mm though if your only considering a 45.

·
Premium Member
7,744 Posts
If you like a 1911 in compact form check out the Sig 938. Mine has been flawless through 500 rounds and pretty accurate for a 3” barrel. It’s 9mm though if your only considering a 45.
Practically the same as the Kimber Micro 9, magazines are even interchangeable. Both are great CC weapons if you decide a "nine" is enough gun

Reactions: 2wheel

·
Registered
192 Posts
Practically the same as the Kimber Micro 9, magazines are even interchangeable. Both are great CC weapons if you decide a "nine" is enough gun
I considered both when I bought the Sig. Within 15$ of each other. I liked the feel of the sig a little better and it has a threaded barrel.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 28 Posts