Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
Last year I bought a 2006 6.0 F350 with 140k miles, it immediately had a no start on hot issue and quite a bit of blow by, pushing the upside down oil cap off. The truck is studded but probably was abused. I started taking it apart to fix the HPOP leak but then winter hit and I left it sitting.
Now I have 2 options as my current trucks lease is up this summer. To try to sell this one as is (unlikely to sell) or build it. I do need reliability for work so I am thinking of getting a different engine that has no blow by to start with.
Truck has issues with suspension and steering as well so I would like to keep budget for the engine under 7k US dollars if it’s even possible. I found low mileage 06 engine complete for $3,750 USD.
What would you do? What parts would you change or would you take a completely different road?

Parts that I already have so don’t need to buy or include in the budget: new icp sensor, new ipr sensor, new oil cooler, new stand pipes and dummy plugs, new stc connector, coolant filter, glow plugs, glow plug’s harnesses, blue spring kit and SCT tuner.

Parts that I think I want in the new engine build:
Studs and new head gasket, HHC oil rail cups, possibly an improved FICM, improved water pump, egr delete, check heads before putting them back on.

Looking for opinions and suggestions,
Thanks!

· Registered
2005 F-350 XL 6.0
538 Posts
I would probably only go that route if the body and interior are very nice. 7k might be possible if you do all the work yourself. 15k would be more realistic.
If the body is rough, I would try to get it running and sell it as-is.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would probably only go that route if the body and interior are very nice. 7k might be possible if you do all the work yourself. 15k would be more realistic.
If the body is rough, I would try to get it running and sell it as-is.
All the work will be done by myself, trucks body is in a good shape for the year, one of the cleanest I’ve seen on the road around me. It only a XLT tho so even tho interior is clean it’s nothing to write home about.

· Registered
2,290 Posts
Getting the iiniterior up to a lariat or king ranch isn't difficult, just expensive lol.

I wouldn't touch the oil rail cups, and make sure that everything is OEM. Other than that, looks like a solid list. I will edit this to include my in depth list of going that deep.

· Premium Member
4,774 Posts
Have you seen the condition or modifications to the truck that the 'low mileage' engine came from? If it's a good engine, that's not a bad path since you are doing the work yourself.

You could recoup some of that by selling the old engine as a core for $500-1000.

Reactions: Spirit

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Have you seen the condition or modifications to the truck that the 'low mileage' engine came from? If it's a good engine, that's not a bad path since you are doing the work yourself.

You could recoup some of that by selling the old engine as a core for $500-1000.
No unfortunately I can’t see it running or the truck it’s from as it’s 800 miles away, I would prefer to go with a reman new block from KDD, Warran or Asheville but it’s out of the budget.

· 6.0 Powerstroke n00b
625 Posts
To do it right and under your budget, I would recommend KDD's build in a box. I should have done this on my last two 6.0 builds but the wait time was too long back then. I spent well over $7000 on each engine build. Just the machine work on block and heads was $$$$.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
To do it right and under your budget, I would recommend KDD's build in a box. I should have done this on my last two 6.0 builds but the wait time was too long back then. I spent well over $7000 on each engine build. Just the machine work on block and heads was $$$$.

would love to go this way, but wait time and the fact that it pushes over budget after delivery (if they even would ship to Canada) doesn’t leave any room for injectors or turbo if issues with them arise.

· Administrator
27,124 Posts
Time/Quality/Money

you only get two, AND when you are done you have a 20 year old truck that is only worth what people are willing to pay for it in a market where diesel is expensive and your country is trying to outlaw it.

Make smart decisions.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts