Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been working on my train horn set-up all week, and apparently my batterys drained, when I was trying to wire the relay I used what looked like an 18GA wire that I tapped with 16GA and ran back to turn on the relay.

My question is the relay wouldnt work, and I tried another, could this be because there wasn't enough power to activate the relay.

I know it was wired right, and I had power from my main 8GA power lead from the batt., everything was grounded. When I put a test light on the wire running from my 12 keyed hot wire, the test light lit up dim(which I am assuming takes not power to light up).

Is this my prob, or could it be something else??

·
Powerstroke Junkie
8,307 Posts
18 gauge is very small, I haven't installed train horns so I don't know what you are needing to trigger, so I can't say if this is your prob.

NCH

·
Premium Member
1,824 Posts
If your test light is dim that tell me low voltage. What wire are you tapping into for the signal to the relay? You need to have a voltmeter to read what the wire voltage is.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ya, I found a larger gauged wire under the hood and tapped into it and it works fine... The test light is brighter now.

Thanks though!

·
Premium Member
1,824 Posts
Good to hear you will be blasting up the neighborhood. :thumb::thumb:

·
Premium Member
594 Posts
Good to hear that info as I should be hooking mine up in the next week or so...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.