Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I know I may catch hell for this but here it goes. I talked to Rene at quick tricks one day and he told me some interesting info. He said he has been doing a lot of test trying different things out to see how it effects horsepower and track times.

So he told me he was raising fuel pressure past 65 psi to see what would happen, well truck ran sluggish and slowed in track times. So he went the other way and truck kept getting faster and faster, he stopped at 45psi, regulated return.He told me trust him and try it, well since I had my regulated return set for 65-67psi I tried it. Well geuss what it worked I lowered to 50 psi and dam, truck felt stronger and quicker. Egt's also dropped 100-150 degrees, I know this makes no sense but it works, my fuel mieage increased abou 2-3 mpg.

Since it worked fopr me I told Nate(windrunner408) well it worked for him to all of it. So I past the info to Chris (strokin 6L) and worked for him, but can't say anything about mpg.

I talked to my injector build and he told me dropping psi to 50 or even 45psi, will not hurt the injectors at all, I still feel better at 50psi tho. International says that 44 min for fuel pressure so I guess they do know their engines.

So basically what I'm saying is if you have a regulated fuel system turn it down to 50 psi and you will see a differance, and if you do get on this thread and tell everyone. Any info I find that works and doesn't hurt truck I will always share, just to make the 6.0's better. So trust me on this and try it, I know it sounds nuts but it does work.

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
I just spoke to Vivian last night getting my tune tweaked and she asked me what my fuel pressure was set at. I told her 65psi and she told me since I live in Ohio that I should set it at 55psi in the winter and 45psi in the summer. I was gong to turn mine down today to see. I'll let you know how it works for me.

·
Registered
430 Posts
What does this do for injector life? What I think is happening is that when the fuel pressure is dropped on these truck you are effectively leaning out the mix air/Fuel and that is making more power. But remember lean is fast and also bad for head gaskets if ya go to far!

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
I just spoke to Vivian last night getting my tune tweaked and she asked me what my fuel pressure was set at. I told her 65psi and she told me since I live in Ohio that I should set it at 55psi in the winter and 45psi in the summer. I was gong to turn mine down today to see. I'll let you know how it works for me.
I spoke with her yesterday and she told me just the opposite...45 in the winter and 55 in the summer. You want it higher in the summer because of the heat. Your pressure will drop if the fuel is hotter.

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
What does this do for injector life? What I think is happening is that when the fuel pressure is dropped on these truck you are effectively leaning out the mix air/Fuel and that is making more power. But remember lean is fast and also bad for head gaskets if ya go to far!
As long as you have volume....lowering fuel pressure no lower than 45psi will not hurt a thing. Also, if you go lower than that you will start to starve the injectors which is a bad thing. Lowering fuel pressure does not affect the head gaskets at all...only the injectors.

·
Registered
4,816 Posts
As mentioned, the International spec for fuel pressure is 44psi. I know everyone is worried about starving their injectors for fuel; but if you meet the spec, you meet the spec, and the injectors ARE going to last just as long (if not longer) being at or just above (i.e. 45psi) the spec as they would if the fuel pressure is jacked up to 65 psi.

What "I" think is happening, is that we are getting better atomization of the fuel and this pressure and therefore are getting a cleaner burn. I guess if you want to call it a leaning out condition you can but I look at it rather as a more efficient condition and the truck is being setup to run as it was designed to be ran. JMO of course.

I have to run another tank of fuel through my truck before I post up what all has been happening just so I am able to give quantifiable data.

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
I spoke with her yesterday and she told me just the opposite...45 in the winter and 55 in the summer. You want it higher in the summer because of the heat. Your pressure will drop if the fuel is hotter.
My bad, I put the numbers in the wrong place. Trying to type on the fly from my phone. :D

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
When I spoke with Air Dog/ Pure Flow Tuesday he pretty much said the same thing. Turn down the pressure. He was going from a Air Dog pump longevity standpoint though. Maybe backing off on the AD's so they aren't working as hard, RR's and updating the wiring harness we might have a reliable setup after all. Because to achieve 68-70psi my AD was cranked.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Thats exactly what i was thinking... Im gonna turn mine down asap.. As the AD2 has me a lttle bit worried after hearing all the horror stories after i had already installed it

·
Premium Member
7,050 Posts
:crazy:

might just have to adjust mine and see what happens

:givemebeer:

·
Registered
4,816 Posts
When I spoke with Air Dog/ Pure Flow Tuesday he pretty much said the same thing. Turn down the pressure. He was going from a Air Dog pump longevity standpoint though. Maybe backing off on the AD's so they aren't working as hard, RR's and updating the wiring harness we might have a reliable setup after all. Because to achieve 68-70psi my AD was cranked.
I was kind of thinking this as well to help both of my pumps last longer. So far I have had favorable responses so far by doing this.

·
WWW.COMPIGNTECH.COM
8,777 Posts
Ok let me ask you this. Is it possible to run stock pump and secondary fuel filter housing with a stand alone rr and still be able to do this? I mean seein as how the stand alone rr would allow me to regulate the fuel pressure I don't see why this wouldn't be feasible.

·
Registered
4,816 Posts
YES. This is totally possible. All you have to do is block the return port on the regulator housing on the filter bowl, run lines from the back of the heads to the regulator and then tie the return port on the regulator to the return line going back to the tank and your done. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Ok let me ask you this. Is it possible to run stock pump and secondary fuel filter housing with a stand alone rr and still be able to do this? I mean seein as how the stand alone rr would allow me to regulate the fuel pressure I don't see why this wouldn't be feasible.
Absolutely! Alot of guys out there are running a RR with stock pump and fuel bowl....i did for a while. That's the whole point of the RR...to block off the factory return from the bowl and use the return from aftermarket regulator(fuelab, aeromotive)

·
Turbos = Witchcraft
2,740 Posts
Sure is! I did it for a while, until I installed the FASS and my BPD oil cooler so I could delete the fuel bowl.

·
Motor Head.
1,777 Posts
subscribed.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Well. I guess ill have to try this. And this means i might just be installin my AD2 again, mainly for the removing the air in fuel and having both filters right there. Plus i have it but i didnt trust it. but lowering the pressure on the AD2 would make me feel better about running it again. I think.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts