Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My last few regens have only gone down to 25 or 30%, not all the way to 0 like they used to. Each time I was still driving for 50 to 100 miles after the regen stopped, constant speed on the highway. No error codes or anything like that. Each time its been in the mountains in CO, so a lot of up and down. Only thing I can think of is the downhill sections kicked it out of regen before it was done?

·
BBBRRRRRTTTTT
6,244 Posts
The computer senses thats its done enough and the rest will burn off without the extra work.

To put it short and simple.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Mine does that every once in a while, some times a few in a row depending on driving. I notice if I am on the highway and get off an exit when it is at 25-30% it will stop. Even if I don't stop driving once I get off the highway. Sometimes it will stop even if I stay on the highway. It just stops mid region. If you want to make sure it gets cleaned all the way do a manual in the driveway. It has always gone to 0% when I do that. I will do a manual if get home and its full and I don't have a long trip planned.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I dont have the % screen for regen but i notice sometimes when getting home when letting off the gas in my neighborhood to coast to the house. I notice the turbo make noise and the truck seems to engine brake more. And every single time it does that when i shut off the truck, i hear what sounds like the turbo spooling down.. like a humming sound. Is that what happens on a regen? Anyone experience this turbo sound when shutting off? Im worried im hurting the turbo by shutting of the truck while on a regen

·
Registered
274 Posts
If you are monitoring your trucks DPF by the factory screen %, don’t worry, that screen lies. I have heard of multiple people reporting the screen saying their regen shut off at 30% but a couple days later, they were down to 10%. The factory screen is not just measuring the filter and has a few other parameters that increase the percentage shown. It is not a good way to accurately tell you filter status but it is a good way to let you know when a regen should be starting.

·
Registered
17 Posts
There was an attachment someone had posted about regens and maintenance. And it stated that the truck shouldnt be shut off while a regen is active, and someone said by putting it in park about a minute later the regen will stop. Maybe thats a good idea when shutting off during a regen. I do notice alot of turbo noise,it sounds like a wastegate then the turbo spool. On a regular shutoff you can't even hear the turbo even if it spins a while after

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just as a follow up, started a 115 mile drive towing my gooseneck and Jeep this morning at 85% on the filter. Auto regen started about halfway through the drive and went all the way to 0% about 10 miles before the drive was finished.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Just as a follow up, started a 115 mile drive towing my gooseneck and Jeep this morning at 85% on the filter. Auto regen started about halfway through the drive and went all the way to 0% about 10 miles before the drive was finished.
That sounds like an awful long time to complete a regen. What are we talking, 30-40 minutes? More?

·
Registered
467 Posts
On the interstate my regens have always been at least 30 minutes
Thanks for the reply. I'm not all that versed on dpf equipped and urea dosed diesels. Had one of the first a long time ago (07.5 duramax), but I didn't have it long before I deleted it. We got my wife a 3.0L diesel Jeep Wrangler, and it seems to finish regens in 15 minutes or less, which is why 30 sounds long to me.

Anyhow carry on. Just poking my nose all over the forum here trying to learn about these new Ford Diesels.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I was on the highway today driving home, of course a regen started right when I moved in to the exit lane. Im stuck at a red light immediately after exiting and what I noticed was that it went from 95% down to 35% in the time it took for the light to turn green. So, maybe 3 or 4 minutes? Thats way faster than it has ever dropped while doing a regen on the freeway. I tried to see if it would continue by driving for a bit after that, but nope, it was done at 35%. Usually I'm more prepared and able to stay on the highway till it gets to 0%, that takes 20-30 min.

·
Registered
275 Posts
We got my wife a 3.0L diesel Jeep Wrangler, and it seems to finish regens in 15 minutes or less, which is why 30 sounds long to me.
I have been trying to find ways to shorten regens. 15 min will be great.

I was on the highway today driving home, of course a regen started right when I moved in to the exit lane. Im stuck at a red light immediately after exiting and what I noticed was that it went from 95% down to 35% in the time it took for the light to turn green. So, maybe 3 or 4 minutes? Thats way faster than it has ever dropped while doing a regen on the freeway. I tried to see if it would continue by driving for a bit after that, but nope, it was done at 35%. Usually I'm more prepared and able to stay on the highway till it gets to 0%, that takes 20-30 min.
I have noticed that when I travel on the interstate while in regen and get off an exit, the regen % goes down really fast. When the DPF is hot and less fuel is being used, less additional soot is produced so the % drops faster.

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
Do you have a review thread on this stuff anywhere? Think I might try it in my wife's Jeep as it will be really easy to tell if the regen frequency changes with the Scangauge II in there. Drives it mostly in town and regens seem to be about every 250-300 miles.
Here’s a lengthy thread where we started using it/ testing it out.

Mine now only regens at the software mandated 500 mi. Usually it’s only at ~50% ‘full’, sometimes it’s is higher depending on driving conditions. It just takes 7-8 minutes/miles to complete to 0%.

Here’s the place I get it (FBC is their version with added lubricity. )

Jane has more testimonials there.

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
One more comment.
Ferrocene is the combustion catalyst. This is an iron compound and it will show up in UOA. Don’t be alarmed by the little bump up.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Here’s a lengthy thread where we started using it/ testing it out.

Mine now only regens at the software mandated 500 mi. Usually it’s only at ~50% ‘full’, sometimes it’s is higher depending on driving conditions. It just takes 7-8 minutes/miles to complete to 0%.

Here’s the place I get it (FBC is their version with added lubricity. )

Jane has more testimonials there.
Thanks. Just ordered some up. I think I will avoid telling my wife how much we just spent on a fuel additive, holy smokes! Oh well, about the same as gambling on engine tuning. Which I will most likely be utilizing sometime in the future.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I use enerburn/FBC. My highway regens last 7 minutes.
I use Better Diesel FBC. Have you been using since the truck was new? I started at around 50K on a used truck. What are your driving conditions when you do a 7 min regen?
Usually when the instrument cluster regen % reaches zero, my MPGs and monitor indicate I'm in regen another 15 miles or about 10-12 minutes.

Thanks. Just ordered some up. I think I will avoid telling my wife how much we just spent on a fuel additive, holy smokes!
So far it's added up to about $0.08/gal of additional cost for me using recommended dosage.

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
Driving conditions are typical highway speeds. Doesn’t seem to matter within a wide window. Empty or towing 10K; 50-70 mph. System hot or just barely operating temp. Dash notification comes on , then takes about a minute to begin dropping % full. Goes to zero and shuts off. Fuel trend screen only has one 5 min bar dropped to 10-12 mpg then back up to 16-20.

I started FBC with nearly 300K miles on the truck.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts