Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been wondering if I should take my truck in for the latest reflash. I suspect it still may have the original calibration. I bought it with 65,000 km. on the clock. It now has 162 k. I am going to do an EGR delete soon. My questions:

a) Given my model year (in my sig) are there any negatives with the latest update? (e.g. reduced fuel economy, EGR codes/CEL, etc.)

b) What are the advantages?

c) Does the reflash change the strategy code so that I'll have to get my custom tune files changed/updated?

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I can't speak for a 03 or 04 but with my 05 maf based truck once I put ID's ficm tune on the truck I see no power or mileage difference between a vxcf4(non inferred) and vxcf9(inferred). Personally what I have experianced is that the vxcf9 runs cleaner, smokes less, is more responsive right off idle and linier into the power band than a vxcf4.

·
Premium Member
9,154 Posts
What is your current strategy? The VXAP2 is the newest strategy for the '03's. The VXAP1 and VXAP2 are least desirable. They no longer use the EBP for PCM input to the motor.

IIRC, the newer strategies have a loss of power and MPG when compared to the older calibrations.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
IIRC, the newer strategies have a loss of power and MPG when compared to the older calibrations.
This is related to the new FICM code they load when the current strategy is loaded. Once that is removed either by a FICM roll back or a performance FICM tune then at least with a 05 plus engine you can't see a difference in power or mileage. Also the new FICM code is great and hiding injector problems (sucks been there done that) I love the vxcf9 over the vxcf4 but the FICM code just plan sux

·
Premium Member
9,154 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What is your current strategy? The VXAP2 is the newest strategy for the '03's. The VXAP1 and VXAP2 are least desirable. They no longer use the EBP for PCM input to the motor.

My current strategy is VXAP1N6. Are you saying I will lose fuel economy and power with the latest update? Will I have to get my custom tunes re-done? Will the custom tunes make the power and fuel economy issues redundant?

Also, thanks for the link on the updates.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Premium Member
9,154 Posts
IIRC, VXAP2 is the newest update, prior to the VXAP2 the VXAP1 was the newest. So if you do decide to get a reflash, your not losing or gaining anything significant, except a lighter wallet from the cost of a reflash.

I can't remember what updates were included with the VXAP2.

I went from VXAP1 to the VXAP2 and noticed a seat of the pants loss of power feel, but that might be my imagination. I have custom tunes written for both strategies, and can still use the VXAP1 without issues.

IMO, it's not worth the updating to the VXAP2.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for clearing this up for me. I think I'll be leaving it as is.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts