Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Reduced Power Wrench, Code P252f. ?????

25K views 15 replies 4 participants last post by  aggiect01 
#1 ·
My 2008 F550 with 109k total miles has a replacement motor, turbos, and injectors all installed by Ford. It only has 5K miles on it but has went into reduced power mode 5 times since September 2013. It runs perfectly 99%of the time but keeps going into limp mode and showing code P252F, engine oil overfilled. It has also shown code PO292, engine overspeed once. I have had the oil changed 2x and DPF forcefully cleaned by ford. The compression and injectors check out excellent and the two different dealers cant find the problem. Any ideas? It has a 16ft box on the back and liftgate and is all stock.

#2 ·
Check your engine oil!!!!! It is probably about 12 quarts overfull on oil. Don't seat the dipstick ALL the way in, keep short-sticking it until you get an idea of how full it is. if it registers full on the dipstick, with the dipstick a couple inches out of the tube you know it was overfull. The HP fuel system is under the valve covers, and a leak will overfill the oil, and you'll start to suck in oil thru the intake. Disconnect the Lower CAC hose under the truck on the drivers side, and drain the oil from your CAC. Then you need to check for an internal fuel leak.

1 You'd have to pull both valve covers, and leave the fuel cooler connected, then run the truck and check for fuel leaking. It's easier if you add fluorescent dye to the secondary fuel filter bowl, and use a dye light.

2 Alternatively, you can drain the oil overnight, and leave the drain plug out. Then you turn the key in the on position and run the fuel pump, while checking to see if fuel comes out the the oil pan drain hole. You may need to spin the engine periodically, and could take a solid 15 minutes of pump run-time before you see a leak.

if it fails test 1, replace whatever is leaking ;p Fuel like is torqued to snug on both side, 100 INCH pounds, then an addition 60 degrees.

If it fails test 2, pull the cab/turbo and throw in a new injection pump, pump gasket/harness, and the small jumper harness

#3 ·
Thanks for the advice, that's a little to complicated for my minimal shade tree mechanic skills but I will pass it along to the dealership working on it now. It amazes me that none of them can find the problem. Its currently at Tommie Vaughn Ford in Houston.

#4 ·
still no answers from Ford
My truck has now been to three dealerships now and has currently been at Tommie Vaughn Ford for almost 2 weeks now. They have yet to give me any answers but just called me this morning requesting my permission to do a manual compression check. their service tech contacted ford directly and was denied coverage to do this testing which means I would be out of pocket another $450 just to do this testing. I have already spent around $1000 on this truck and have only put around five thousand miles on it. I don't know who to talk with it Ford to help get this resolved. any ideas?

#5 ·
aggiect01,

We have been having the exact same issue for the past year. P0252f We have a 2008 F550 Bus 6.4L (Assembled by Kystal Bus, Brea, CA) We have been to 18 different Ford Dealers, truck shops, and mechanics across the United States with varying results. We have gone 2 oil changes with no code, and recently just threw it again after a oil/fuel filter change. We have replaced the oil pump, exhaust system (incl. dpf sensors, dpf, and piping all the way back), fuel cooler, reprogrammed the pcm, ecm, and sjb as well as other diag tests. All at our costs since FoMoCo refuses to accept responsibility. This is a reman engine bought and installed in CA as well due to the previous motor blowing up.

We have been about 300 miles since the last code and the dealer is attributing this one to using aftermarket fuel filters. They claim that the fuel filter was only half full which would cause the engine to go into Reduced Power Mode.

Respond to this thread or PM me. Maybe we can help each other.

#6 ·
I almost feel like I'm in the movie Groundhog Day or waiting for Ashton Kutcher to come out and say that I was punked. its the same story with every dealership, it starts out that they're willing to help and when they find out that they don't know what's wrong they get mad and give up or keep trying to charge me diagnostic fees. it's extremely sad and disappointing that Ford will not stand behind their product or dealer network. These vehicles are all stock and have had all required maintenance performed not some truck that is chipped and taken out on track days. I and many other people have had similar problems with ford standing behind the radiator problem on 08 through 2010 trucks with the 6.4. My last 08 was on its third radiator and leaking at 80000 miles. if you come across a solution please let me know anf I will do the same. If not, this will be the last Ford that I or my family will ever purchase

#7 ·
No kidding. This has been absolutely ridiculous. The worst part is that our company has been purchasing Ford trucks/buses for going on Ten years now, most recently a 2004 F350 6.0, 2005 F350 6.0, 2006 F550 6.0, 2008 F550 6.4, and a 2011 F350 6.7, and they still don't seem to care. They never fixed the issues with the 6.0's, which, as most people know, the only way to make them reliable is to delete the EGR & cooler (illegal in most states) and put ARP headstuds in (which Ford doesn't recommend for some odd reason...). SO, needless to say, I have lost all confidence in FoMoCo mechanics and the integrity of FoMoCo as they refuse to accept responsibility for their own mistakes, even with consumers who are loyal. For a background, my uncle is a FoMoCo master mechanic of 20 years and my family has always been a Ford family (until recent years).

#8 ·
What kind of reman motor was it? Short block, long block, or complete ? If the turbo has black paint all over it, and the reman is less than 2 years old, then it is under a spw warranty coverage. If the engine oil was overfull, it could aerate and suck oil into the intake, egts skyrocket and motor can be damaged. If they want to do a manual compression test and it fail, then you also have a base engine concern cause by a fuel leak inside the engine. The repair and diagnostics should be at no cost. So if they ask 450 $(double what we charge at the ford dealer I work for) for a compression test and then they tell ya u need a cyldinder head or engine or a teardown, then u bring in ur receipt for your new reman engine you just got, u shouldnt have to pay for that compression test at that point. did contact ford motor company yourself? Because the dealers are different than ford motor co.. also, if fomoco thinks the problem was caused by poor workmanship, fomoco will not pay, instead the dealer that performed the work is responsible

#9 ·
Complete reman ordered directly from-and-through Ford. It was replaced in Feb 2013 in Valencia, CA at Power Ford. As stated before, we have been to 18 different dealers across the US; they have worked directly with FoMoCo engineers; we have opened a case with them (which was recently closed); we have been in direct contact with a FoMoCo regarding the situation and they had us leave the F550 at a dealer in the Birmingham, AL area they performed tests and diag (at our cost).In all of the times that we have taken it in for the 252 code, only once was the oil high on the dip stick. They are not honoring the spw warranty and cannot find anything "wrong" as there are no "failed" parts, therefore there is nothing "wrong" and thus not the company's fault. Never once has there been the mention of "poor workmanship".

#10 ·
I just spoke to the service guy at Tommie Vaughn Ford and they did a manual compression test on my truck and found that the cylinders were all between 340-350 psi. I was told by him that normal pressure is above 400 psi. He also said that when they removed the lower air charger system that they found some oil in it (from blow by) which would cause more frequent regens and too much unburned fuel in the system. The cause according to their best guess is injestion of dust or foreign material into the motor causing dusting. Basically the same verdict as Joe Myers Ford said therefore FoMoCo will not cover anything under the 2 year warranty. His only recommendations were to either get rid of the truck or replace the motor again. Does anybody have any other suggestions? Remember, this motor has only 7,000 miles on it and has been driven 95% on the highway in Houston. I disagree with their reasoning for the low compression however it is my work against theirs and I know from experience who FoMoCo is going to believe. *** I hope that others learn from my very costly mistake not to trust Ford with their hard earned money and expect them to honor the truck/motor warranty.

#11 ·
Hey man, haven't been able to give ya a call back. Currently in Cali. We put the F550 in the shop because it was almost "choking" intermittently at cruising speed. It would bog down with no codes and then return to normal randomly. Sent it in to find a fan fault code (p529) and an EGT 12 sensor was found out of range. Replaced it all and no issues yet. However, all of this was at our cost, even though the engine was a complete reman as of last year. Nothing, not even the sensor, which was replaced last year as well, was covered.

If I were you, I would go for the lawsuit, but unless you can get it verified through an independent mechanic that Ford is directly at fault, I think we are all at the mercy of the company who, at this moment, is refusing to take responsibility for their mistake. Personally, I think our company was on the verge of a lawsuit, but unfortunately, due to costs, the big companies usually squash the little ones....

#12 · (Edited)
Just for the hell of it, I called Ford Customer care, (about the same b.s. as obamacare) and spent 35 minutes discussing my situation with a woman that wasn't qualified to make a burger at Mc D's. She first told me the motor warranty wasn't transferrable but after I read her word for word off the warranty print out she changed her story. After being put on hold 3 different times, she told me the same garbage as the previous 4 agents did, "I'm really sorry but there is nothing that we can do" I told her I wanted something in writing stating as to why exactly Ford was denying my warranty claim and she told me it was because of lack of maintaince. I laughed at her and explained that the motor had 1,000 miles on it when the problems started and now has 7,000 miles and has been to 3 Ford dealers, had 2 oil changes, and I have all of the receipts. She then changed her story and said that it was installed incorrectly as determined by the first dealership (loose or damaged hose connecting the air filter to the turbo)but disputed by the second two Ford dealers (no damage and correctly connected). This discussion went on and on in a circle until she finally let me go. I asked to have a Ford engineer come look at the truck personally to dermine if it was installed incorrectly and she said that the dealership would have to request that and she couldn't. My last two options are lawsuit, or replace the motor again on my own dime from a reputable supplier, possibly Asheville Engines in SC. I spoke to them yesterday and they seemed legit but haven't heard from anyone that used them yet.

#13 ·
If I were you I would weigh the cost of upgrading to the 6.7 versus putting the new motor in, or lawsuit. What happens if after the new motor is put in, you run into the issues again? Then you are out for another motor and stuck with the same trash FoMoCo keeps dishing out about the 6.4L. If you'll notice, it took GM 10 years to finally re-up for their ignition mistake. You think Ford is going to admit to their mistake anytime soon? Keep us updated man. We haven't had any issues since the EGT and fan clutch were replaced, but I won't hold my breath. Needless to say, it will be gone before the end of the year.

#14 ·
Honestly I don't think I'll buy another Ford product again in my lifetime. I am still in complete disbelief at their lack of accountability and at how they treat loyal customers. I know some of you reading this will say that other companies would do the same but if you have never delt with the complete idiots at FoMoCo than it's hard to believe that they could be this bad.

#16 ·
Mtrucksrial fix was to get rid of my Ford's and replace them with two Rams and couldn't be happier. I had a 2008 F550 and 2012 f150 ecoboost and both had problems and Ford could care less about their customers. I bought seven new Ford Super Duty's in a row and they weren't willing to help me when I had a problem with their diesels/trucks over and over. only time will tell how Chrysler treats their customers in comparison.I am extremely happy with both of my new trucks and get 20% better mileage with the Cummins

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.