Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2015 F250. Started to get the msg on Fri. About 30 minutes after getting some fuel. By Sat the msg was pretty constant and CEL was on. Am about 300 miles from home and will never get there in reduced power mode.

·
Registered
65 Posts
You are going to have to find someone, somewhere, somehow, to find out what the CEL codes are. Once you know what the DTC's are you can start to track down the root cause of the reduced power. Post the DTC's up on this forum once you get them retrieved. Sorry I can't offer more help than this at the moment.

Good Luck!

Mike

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Unfortunately my truck and I are 300 miles from home where my laptop and code scanner are. Since it's under power train warranty, I left it at a Ford dealership in DE and rented a car to go back to NY and come back next week. I have a second home here so the trip back is not a wasted trip.

Maybe I should get a second code scanner for my Android phone?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is there a problem with the EGT sensors

When an EGT sensor (there are 4) fails is it a fluke or is Ford having a problem with these sensors? It's a major hassle when one fails as the engine goes into "reduced engine power" mode.

Does anyone carry a OBDII code reader and a spare sensor and 13mm wrench.

·
Super Moderator
9,274 Posts
It's not a problem or a fluke. Parts fail, it happens. The real issue used be that the truck just shut down, no reduced power mode. Now they have changed the PCM tuning to give you the ability to have some power. Before you couldn't even get EGT sensors since everyone was buying spares.

·
Registered
7 Posts
When an EGT sensor (there are 4) fails is it a fluke or is Ford having a problem with these sensors? It's a major hassle when one fails as the engine goes into "reduced engine power" mode.

Does anyone carry a OBDII code reader and a spare sensor and 13mm wrench.

As mine is still factory stock, I use a Bluetooth OBDII reader (327ELM) to monitor EGTs and read codes all the time and have tools to fix almost anything that could go wrong, but I am most probably the exception. Sounds like you might be able to get Ford to cover it, if you are still inside their warranty period.

You might consider picking up a reader and leaving it hooked up... I run Torque Pro on an old Android phone as a monitor and it works better that most of the $300 units for a total cost of about $30 (not including the phone).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
170 Posts
FYI that my pioneer headunit with the iDataLink Maestro can read the EGT and display codes, clear codes. Convenient...

I still own a code reader though for the lowest level visibility.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts