Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

61 - 69 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
I finally did this "mod" on my '00 CCSB with 260k miles. It's all stock except for a 6637 style filter and 4" (CA legal) exhaust. My impression: It's only been a day but I think I like it. Turbo spools and continues to hold at low RPM and 1/4 throttle (where I like to be). It feels like how I expected a truck with 500 ft-lbs should feel now. Wheelspin with wet/muddy tires on pavement can be an issue, but still easily controlled. The turbo does make more noise hillclimbing for sure.

How much boost am I seeing now? I haven't checked yet. I'm going to run it for a week and see what the next fill up looks like for MPG.

I'll have to reconnect the red line for CA SMOG of course. And I'm thinking I'll probably reconnect it when I install the billet compressor wheel too.

Clay

EDIT:
Morning drive results from Torque. Boost at low RPM/ part throttle is indeed higher. Cruising between 60 and 63 mph on the freeway I was seeing between 2 and 3 psi; previously I would see 1 psi or so. So there is some change there, and part throttle performance is definitely better so far. We'll see at the end of the week what the mpg number looks like compared to normal.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
nice explanation i just got a 7.3 a few weeks ago and in the process of fixing it i seen the red tube was disconnected and reinstalled it thinking someone forgot to put it back on haha now i know why it was off

·
Administrator
29,323 Posts
nice explanation i just got a 7.3 a few weeks ago and in the process of fixing it i seen the red tube was disconnected and reinstalled it thinking someone forgot to put it back on haha now i know why it was off
Kudos to you for using a search :thumb:

·
Registered
460 Posts
Read the whole thread before I joined, a question that was only addressed by a few people which were conflicting posts, is it okay to do this on a manual transmission truck? One gentlemen said his turbo made some awful noise, other said it was fine. Just thought I would see if anyone would reply regarding do this with the ZF6.

Thanks!

·
Registered
460 Posts
Some Feedback/follow up for people with manual transmission. I have an S&B intake, 4" exhaust, but other then that its a stock 2002 7.3/Zf6. I could generally hit 14-15 PSI unloaded, on flat, WOT. Have seen 17 PSI twice while towing, up a hill, WOT at 3k RPM. Manned up and disconnected the red tube today, gave her a couple runs on the way home. It will now hit 15 psi quite easily, much lower in the RPM range. Definitely saw 19 PSI at WOT in 4th (the one before Overdrive). I bet it will see 20 or 21 towing. Definitely added a little bit at the top end. Seems cool so far. Will be driving around a few days, will try and remember to report back.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ramm and Schlutzer... DAMN do you guys ever know your stuff!

A buddy of mine has been telling me to do this, spouting the usual internet BS about there being no downsides.

Gonna teach him a thing or two!

Thanks a lot guys.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Been a while but I do have an update on this!

We had a camping trip that was a 7 hour drive North of us, in Crescent City CA. We live in Rohnert Park CA. Loaded with firewood, gear (including a 72-quart cooler), heavy tent trailer (it's not a small one by any means), we gross around 12k combined.

The drive was great. Scenery is beautiful up North in the redwoods. Averaged 15 mpg which was awesome. Had 1 big hill where I ended up in 2nd gear locked, because 3rd brought me out of the power band. Seemed slow at the time but we were pulling away from the minor bit of traffic, and on the way back I realized it was a pretty good hill.

Everything was great 'till the way back though. A hill caught me by surprise and as I put my foot down and took off cruise, the trans shifted and the engine light came on. I was basically panicked all the way home (still several hours away) but the truck was running fine.

Checked the code when I did get home and it turns out the computer realized the wastegate was disconnected and didn't like it. Maybe it's a CA thing? Since then, I reconnected the red tube and installed a billet wheel. No problems with the computer complaining since, and still pass the smog inspection.

Clay

61 - 69 of 69 Posts