Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
I did a lot of research ALOT on this and I said you know what it's very hard to accurately put a "is this ok" " should I go ahead and try it" but I went ahead and did some info tracking myself. First I just unhooked it I gained on my stock truck about 10psi which made a huge diff , but being a six speed when I would shift I got this terrible turbo sound from the turbo trying to stop due to no where for the air to go while exhaust was still flowing. This didn't seem "safe" not reliable to me. The auto guys who don't quite get the performance from there " handicapped" trucks like we do might not see this. So I put the red tube back on , but I wanted those extra psi back. It takes a little time but I adjusted the rod to where my waste gate opens right at 22-24psi . Now that my truck is tuned I hit those psi levels a lot faster , no noise, and my truck is working almost at its maximum and staying safe. If that not enough for you then you have a lot of money to spend. Sorry auto guys real truck don't shift themselves .....! I've noticed a ton of things I've researched and all the auto truck guys info is slightly inaccurate when it comes to a standard truck the turbo works much much differently when it's not under the thumb of a tourque converter .. standard guys when it comes to drivability issues beware to seek correct knowledge. They were not all made equal

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
You're not going to hurt anything that I know of. I ran it plugged untuned on mine for about 4 years with no problems.
Yes you can in fact hurt something, did you not read the whole thread? The turbo is too small for the truck even stock so you have the potential to overboost the turbo

·
Registered
231 Posts
All in all the red tube "mod" is perfectly safe as long as you watch your boost pressures and dont let off the throttle to quickly at high boost levels because that causes turbo stall and thats a whole other story.
So, from this statement, I assume it's a bad idea to do this mod on a straight drive truck? Since you're dropping the throttle at high boost with every shift?

·
Registered
755 Posts
So, from this statement, I assume it's a bad idea to do this mod on a straight drive truck? Since you're dropping the throttle at high boost with every shift?
I wouldn't risk it.

There was already someone else who has a ZF6 that tried this and said their turbo made an unwelcomed noise when they'd left off to shift.

I think there's better/safer ways to go about searching for power.

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Theres a difference between letting the throttle go to shift and dropping off the throttle. No harm unless your not shifting correctly.

I wouldn't risk it.

There was already someone else who has a ZF6 that tried this and said their turbo made an unwelcomed noise when they'd left off to shift.

I think there's better/safer ways to go about searching for power.
Incorrect sir i have a ZF6 and i have no problems at all

·
Registered
171 Posts
Being that I've only had my truck for about a year I'm only gonna has to read this entire thread about 6 mores times to grasp all this. In the mean time I'd say it's safe to assume I'm Not gonna mess with that little red line :) tons of good stuff gents. Appreciate it

·
Registered
6,108 Posts
you can unplug it just watch your boost levels. if i leave mine plugged in i cant get over 25 psi. my wastegate is really weak.

·
Registered
571 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Anyone???

·
Registered
8,568 Posts
It should be getting its reading from the stock map sensor. I think I read that it won't read above 24. I can check on my torque app next time I drive my truck.

·
Registered
755 Posts
I thought I'd experiment and see if this had any effect on my truck, and it didn't.

I unplugged the red line from the wastegate and attached it to the end of one of the CAC pipe clamp bolts like it was suggested and many have done. Drove around today and could not tell any difference at all in performance. Feels just the same and I am very aware when there is any changes in performance. I don't however push my truck that hard so maybe in that type of situation it would come into effect.

Doing this seems like a wash. Some (not limited to this thread) say they picked up several more pounds of boost while others like in my case noticed no change at all.

In any case, I think I'm going to plug it back onto the wastegate unless there is some benefit that I'm missing that's to be had.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I didn't see anyone discuss the results of disconnecting the red tube while using a 38r turbo.. I have a 38r on my excursion and at WOT I can only hit 20psi on my boost gauge. I have No boost leaks that I can find. I have bellowed up pipes and good boots No soot anywhere.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
I didn't see anyone discuss the results of disconnecting the red tube while using a 38r turbo.. I have a 38r on my excursion and at WOT I can only hit 20psi on my boost gauge. I have No boost leaks that I can find. I have bellowed up pipes and good boots No soot anywhere.
Have you adjusted the waste gate?

Reactions: sbluke55

·
Registered
8,568 Posts
Tighten up the waste gate actuator. It should barely move when you apply 20 psi to the nipple where the red tune goes.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Tighten up the waste gate actuator. It should barely move when you apply 20 psi to the nipple where the red tune goes.
Bingo^^^^^^^

·
Registered
6,108 Posts
I get 8 psi more with the redline unplugged. My wastegate is weak though.

·
Registered
74 Posts
So I can use compressed air regulated to 20psi to test the actuator pressure?

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Dont even bother, just tighten the wastegate as much as itll go, then put it back on and youre done..

Use compressed air on the actuator to easy reconnecting

41 - 60 of 69 Posts