Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe someone has had this problem. I blew a high pressure oil line from the HPOP. Oil all over the engine compartment. Got that line fixed and headed home. My battery warning came on and won't go off. I checked the alternator and it's putting out the property voltage. Checked both batteries and they are good. Disconnected them first. and ran the test.
Anyone have an idea what happened.
I'm thinking that maybe the oil got into one of the sensors, but where do I start.

·
Premium Member
19,903 Posts
Just a suggestion, but disconnect the alternator, thoroughly spray it down with brake cleaner including the inside of the plug on the cable.

Reactions: COP-OUT

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I tried the spray, didn't help. I even changed the alternator,that didn't help either. Anyone else with a suggestion. It's either in the dash or the wiring. I guessing that after the hi pressure oil line blew the oil somehow got into the wiring harness and is shorting out the battery indicator light/symbol on the dash.

·
Administrator
23,537 Posts
have you checked the harness on the alt, that tells it to turn on and sends a signal to the ecu.

not the large terminal, the 4 prong plug.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
battery indicator light on in dash

The two wire connector that's on the top of the back side of the alternator was replaced. Haven't checked the wiring harness yet. I don't see a 4 wire connector going to the alternator. Thanks for your help

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Now the batteries are dying. Have to jump start it. Going to take the alternator off and take it to NAPA to test it. Drove the truck 250 miles on Monday and Tuesday morning would barely turn over. Either a short someplace or a bad alternator or both. Any help or ideas would help to solve this problem. Thanks

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Now I have two new commercial grade Interstate batteries installed. Another NAPA alternator that was checked before it left the store.So it was working. All the fuses were checked.The truck is still running off the batteries. voltage dropped after truck was running a few minutes.Check the wiring harness no obvious loose wire or broken wires. This all started after the pickup blew a high pressure oil line and was replaced. The mechanic checked everything and can't locate any possible signs of a problem. The battery warning light is still lite up when the ignition switch is turned on. The batteries drain when the truck sits. has to be charged up or jumped to start it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Take the alternator to a alternator shop have them test it. The dealer is the one that told me to do that. Alternator shop will go thru it and do more testing on it. NAPA is just a general test. From what Ive been told ALOT of alternators have problems right off the shelf.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Found the Cause of the Battery warning Light

Finally find the cause of the Battery warning light staying on. It was a fuse in fuse box under the hood. That caused the battery system to not charge. Someone before I owned the truck put a 5 Amp fuse instead of the 10 fuse that was required. All the fuses were checked under the hood several weeks ago and they were all OK. What caused the fuse to blew, only suspect was when one of the high pressure oil lines blew must have shorted something out in the charging system.The was oil everywhere. So now I got two new heavy duty commercial grade Interstate batteries and a new alternator. Thankfully the batteries and the alternator were covered under a life time warranty

1 - 11 of 11 Posts