Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a barrel of recovered meth and tried using it today. It didn't dissolve all the lye and I tried mixing it since it wasn't going to be a big cost to reprocess and do a double wash on it.

Here's where it gets really fun. My temp got low, so I turned on the heaters for a quick bit. A few minutes later, my mom comes home screaming "YOUR REACTOR IS ON FIRE" Luckily i cut the power to it quick enough it just melted the top . I think all my fitting can still be used still. This could have been way worse. I just want to let people know about a big danger of running this recovered meth if it won't dissolve properly.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Oh crap. that could have been a very bad thing! What caused it? Thelye did not mix with the meth right?

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that's correct. The lye an methanol didn't mix to form methoxide. There was basically a lot of methanol waiting to catch in my tank. I'm lucky the company accidentally shipped me two of the processor tanks when i bought them, so all i need are new fitting and a heater.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
injecting the methanol always scared me. My processor is outside so I did not have to worry about burning down my house. I would not want to make bio in the garage. I would be too worried about a fire.

·
PMR = JUNK
11,259 Posts
Better hope the law don't see this thread about a home made meth lab... :poke

·
Registered
206 Posts
All joking a side, What temperatures are you working at? Methanol boils at 140 deg F. Your oil should be between 120 and 130 and the heat should be off when you inject.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
mine is outside too, but it's underneath our deck right next to the house.

It was around 130 when i put it in. I did have the heat off when i put it in, but because it was more methanol than methoxide the mixture in the tank basically became methanol and oil. When i turned the heat on later, it was still filled with methanol and caught it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts